Publications

The Society has published a number of booklets available for purchase through the Wateringbury Post Office (at £3.50) or at meetings.

TUTSHAM OIL MILL


Often referred to as Wateringbury Oil Mill, but in fact in West Farleigh and a linseed crushing plant with oil as just one end product along with cattle cake, this is our most recent publication (dated August 2012) .  It is 59 pages long with many (23) illustrations. Written jointly by Terry Bird with Chris Davies of Teston History Society, it describes the background to the seed crushing industry in the U.K.  and the navigation of the River Medway.  After reference to the early mills in West Farleigh (Domesday book and after) it details Lord Barham's struggles with the Medway Navigation Company to build his mill at Tutsham in 1806 using a famous Scottish engineer, John Rennie. The mill was modernised and extended in about 1880 by Roger Leigh of  Barham Court, Teston and a detailed description of the machinery at the mill in 1881 is given, based on an article in the Scientifc American of 1881. The mill burnt down in 1885 and  substantial ruins remain on private land in Tiutsham, scarcely visible though from nearby Teston Weir.


A WALK AROUND WATERINGBURY

The third edition (2016) of this booklet is now available.  Comprising 29 pages including 6 maps and 6 other illustrations it guides you on a circular walk from the Wateringbury Churchyard down Mill Lane, by the Mill Pond, on the bridle path to Wardens and then up Bow Road to the Crossroads, then back to the Churchyard along Tonbridge Road. It comments on 46 houses and places of interest en route and is suitable for visitors and local people who know the route but wish to deepen their knowledge of the area covered. 


A HISTORY OF WATERINGBURY TO 1086

This 33 page booklet, published in October 2011, was written by Terry Bird and is illustrated by 12 colour photos and maps.  It covers what is known about the village's pre-history, archaeological finds in and around Wateringbury, and the written history of Wateringbury up to the time of the Domesday book.

 The booklet begins by looking at the limited pre-history (before written records). After the last glacial period, when man roamed the area,  a rock called ‘tufa’ was laid down, which is a site of Special Scientific Interest near Love Lane. The plants and creatures found within the tufa, give evidence about the local environment of the time. The booklet also has details of the few archaeological finds in Wateringbury, and gives some of the evidence for nearby Roman settlements in the lower Medway valley (but not above Teston).

 The earliest written evidence for Wateringbury’s existence comes in the late tenth century will of Brihtric and Aelfswith. Photos of the parts of the original will mentioning Wateringbury from Rochester cathedral’s archives are included. Slightly later, Wateringbury is listed in the ‘Textus Roffensis’ collection of documents as having an obligation to maintain the fifth pier of Rochester Bridge and the part of this charter mentioning Wateringbury is reproduced.

 Wateringbury’s Domesday (1086) entry is reproduced and explained. Wateringbury was at this time split into two manors and in 1066 before the Norman Conquest both were owned by Anglo-Saxon ladies, Leofeva and Godil, who were dispossessed by incoming Norman lords, Hugh and Ralph. The church is recorded in Domesday Book as well as three water mills. The booklet has an appendix showing how Wateringbury compared to the immediately surrounding villages. 



Other publications (£3.50) include:

 Title Publication date
 Pages
   
 Wateringbury People & Places
 1996 53
 Wateringbury People & Places Volume Two
  98
 About Wateringbury
 2006 64
 More About Wateringbury 2008 72
 Wateringbury as Remembered 1930-1980 by Charles Benfield
 1994
 22
 


Comments