Along with many other villages an enclosure survey of Hessle, Anlaby, Tranby and Wolfreton was carried out in the last decade of the eighteenth century. The survey was conducted by Peter Nevill of Riston, William Hall of Scorborough (who died and was replaced by) John Wood of North Cave, Edward Johnson of Hessle, Thomas Barrow of Welton and Robert Atkinson of Catwick. The award was made in 1796 and covered 3550 acres of land. By this Act the open fields of Hessle, Wolfreton, Tranby and Anlaby were transformed into hedged fields owned by various individuals.
As a result of their deliberations the commissioners decided that Henry Legard’s claim to be Lord of the Manor was void and that he was not entitled to any claim in Anlaby nor to compensation.
Section of the Enclosure Map for Hessle, Wolfreton, Tranby and Anlaby.