1892, Bulmer, History and Directory of East Yorkshire
The most comprehensive directory description of Hessle appeared in Bulmer’s work of 1892.
Wapentake of Harthill (South Hunsley Beacon Division) - County Council Electoral Division of Hessle – Petty Sessional Division of South Hunsley Beacon - Poor Law Union of Sculcoates – County Court District of Hull – Rural Deanery of Howden – Archdeaconry of the East Riding – Diocese of York.
This parish is situated on the bank of the Humber east ward of Hull, in which borough a small portion of it is included. The total extent, exclusive of foreshore, is 2,695 acres, and the rateable value £22,884, of which sum £2,462 is assessed on the portion included in the borough of Hull. The population in 1891 was 2,892.
The Wolds terminate here, and, at Hessle Cliffe, the chalk is extensively quarried for the manufacture of whiting, which is carried on in the parish. Charles Percy Sykes Esq., J.P., West Ella, who is lord of the manor; H.J.R. Pease, Esq., J.P., D.L., Hunmanby Hall; Capt. Burstall; Henry Barkworth, Esq., Tranby House; and T.S. Whitaker, Esq., Everthorpe Hall; are the principal landowners.
The manor of Haisell, according to Domesday Book, was given by the Conqueror to Drogo Debeverer, Lord of Holderness. The next owners were the Stutevilles, lords of Cottingham, from whom it passed , by the marriage of an heiress, to Hugh le Wake, in the reign of Henry III, and from this family it was conveyed by marriage to the Hollands, Earls of Kent.
The village, large and well built, contains many very good houses, and in the vicinity are some handsome residences. It stands near the river, about four miles west-by-south of Hull, and has a station on the Hull and Selby branch of the North-Eastern railway. The church (All Saints) is a large ancient edifice of stone, consisting of chancel, with an aisle on each side, nave, with north and south aisles, north and south porches, and a west embattled tower, surmounted by an octagonal spire, containing a clock and a chime of four bells. The Saxon or Norman church that had previously occupied the site, was replaced by the present Early English edifice in the early part of the 13th century, but subsequent restorations in the Decorated and Perpendicular periods are visible. The interior was refitted in 1853, and the fabric was restored and enlarged in 1870. The chancel was taken down and rebuilt 15 feet further north and south respectively, thus increasing the length of the church by 26 feet and the breadth by 30 feet. The total cost of the restoration, £8,000, was raised by subscription. The nave is divided from the aisles by five pointed arches, and two similar ones separate the chancel from the side aisles. The handsome pulpit was presented by John Loft Fearne Esq. The clerestory of the nave is embattled, and has on each side five pointed windows of three lights. There are stained glass windows in the chancel, south aisle, and the west end. The organ chamber occupies its proper place. There are 840 seats, of which 150 are free. The registers date from 1561.
The church was given to the prior and convent of Guisborough soon after the foundation of that house, and it was subsequently appropriated to the same monastery, the prior appointing one of his own canons as vicar. The parish was hen of greater extent and included Hull, where there was a chapel-of-ease dedicated to the Holy Trinity. This chapel was subordinate to the mother church at Hessle till the year 1661, when it was made independently parochial. At the dissolution of the monasteries, the rectory and patronage reverted to the Crown, who still presents through the Lord Chancellor. The living is worth about £300 a year, including 187 acres of glebe, with residence, and is held by the Rev. Arthur Kaye, M.A., of Magdalen College, Oxford.
There are chapels belonging to the Primitive and Free Methodists. The Wesleyan Chapel, erected in 1876, is a spacious brick building with stone dressing, containing 650 sittings, there is also a mission chapel of the same denomination at Springville, and the Brethren have a meeting room which will accommodate 100. A cemetery, covering two acres, was formed in 1865 at a cost of £1,400. There are two mortuary chapels, for the Church of England and nonconformists respectively. It is under the control of a Burial Board of seven members.
A Hospital and School were built here by the Rev. Joseph Wilson, and endowed by Leonard Chamberlain, A.D. 1716. The premises were rebuilt in 1858, by subscriptions raised chiefly among the working classes of the parish. On the ground floor are three rooms for as many poor persons, each of whom receives £1 7s.6d. quarterly; and above it a schoolroom for 20 free scholars. The master, for whom there is a house adjoining, receives £27 10s. per annum out of the endowments, and is elected by the ratepayers. There are also National schools for boys and girls and infants, attended by about 200 children.
About a mile west-by-south of the village is Hesslewood, the property of H. J. Robinson Pease, Esq., J.P., D.L., Hunmanby Hall and the residence of Francis Richard Pease, Esq., J.P. The mansion, which is in the true Georgian style of architecture, stands in a picturesque park of 130 acres, situated near the Humber. The house is a large white brick structure with stone dressings, containing many elegantly furnished rooms. It faces south and commands a splendid view of the river. The Pease family has been settled in Hull since the latter part of the 16th century. Robert Pease, about the year 1663, went to Amsterdam, where he proved very successful in his business transactions. He there married Esther Clifford. Joseph Pease, the third son of this marriage, settled in Hull in 1709, as a merchant, and resided at Hessle. In 1754 he established the well known bank, one of the first out of London. He married Mary Turner, and died in 1778, surviving his wife 50 years. Robert his son, pre-deceased his father leaving no lawful issue, and Mary, the younger and surviving sister married Robert Robinson, merchant of Manchester. She had one son, Joseph Robinson, who, in accordance with his grandfather’s will, assumed the surname and arms of Pease. This gentleman built the present mansion in 1789. He married Anne Twigg, and died in 1807, leaving, besides other issue, a son, Joseph Robinson Pease, Esq. J.P., D.L., who succeeded to the estate. He married Harriet, sister of the late Sir James Walker, Bart., and the present Henry Joseph Robinson Pease, Esq., is his grandson.
Post, Money Order, and Telegraph Office, Swinegate; George Mallinson, postmaster. Letters, via Hull arrive at 7 a.m. and 5-30 p.m.; despatches at 9-40 a.m. and 7-30 p.m.
Hessle Burial Board- G.R.Cook, chairman; Edwin Lord, clerk. The members meet once a month in the Parish School.
Hessle Station around the end of the nineteenth century, looking east. the track was converted to four lines in 1904.