From Kelly's Directory
Is a small town, with a station on the Hull and Selby branch of the North Eastern Railway, 209 ½ miles from London, 4 ½ south west by west from Hull, on the Humber, in the Howdenshire division of East Riding, South Hunsley Beacon petty sessional division of Harthill Wapentake, Sculcoates union, Hull county court district, rural deanery of Howden, archdeaconry of the East Riding and diocese of York. The parish has been divided into two, respectively Hessle within the borough of Hull and Hessle without, under the provisions of the “Local Government Act, 1894” (56 & 57 Vict. c. cxxiii.), and Hessle without is governed by an Urban District Council of 9 members.
The church of All Saints is an ancient building of stone, of the Early English and Perpendicular periods, consisting of chancel with chancel aisles, nave, aisles, north and south porches, and an embattled western tower with spire containing a clock and a good chime of 6 bells; the arcades of the nave and chancel and the north and south doors are Early English; the east and west windows and two in the north aisle are memorials to the Pease family; and there are others to former residents of Hessle and to the Rev. Henry Newmarch B.A. vicar here 1837-83: the church was restored and enlarged in 1869. In 1901 a vestry and organ chamber were added, oak canopied stalls erected and new heating apparatus provided at a cost of £3,000, and in 1890 a new organ was provided at a cost of £625: the church affords 1000 sittings. The register dates from the year 1561. The living is a vicarage, net yearly value £560, including 161 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Lord Chancellor, and held since 1913 by the Rt. Rev. Francis Durdon D.D. of Trinity College, Cambridge, who is also Bishop Suffragan of Hull. St. James’ Mission chapel in First lane was built at a cost of £500 and enlarged in 1905.Trinity Congregational chapel, in the Station road, opened in 1900 is an edifice of red brick and stone in the Early Gothic style, erected at a cost of £4,500, and has sittings for 550 persons. The church of St Nicholas, Hessle Common, at the corner of Hessle and Pickering roads, the gift of Christopher Pickering, Esq. J.P., was built in 1914-15 at a cost of £15,000, from designs by John Bilson, F.S.A.in the 14th century style; it consists of nave, with aisles, chancel with side chapel, organ chamber, western tower and vestries; there are 700 sittings, all free. The living is a vicarage endowed by Christopher Pickering, esq., net yearly value £400, with residence, in the gift of the Archbishop of York, and held since 1916 by the Rev. Leonard Fisher of Sidney Susses College, Cambridge. The Primitive Methodist chapel in South lane was erected in 1909 at a cost of £4,000, with seats for 500 persons. There are also United Methodist chapels, a Wesleyan chapel, erected in 1876, with 800 sittings, and a Wesleyan mission chapel at Springville, erected in 1904 and seating 200 persons. The cemetery of 3 acres, formed in 1865, at a cost of £1,400, has two mortuary chapels, and is under the control of the Urban District Council; 2 more acres have since been purchased, one of which was consecrated by the Archbishop of York in 1901 and added to the cemetery. There are two whiting factories and an Institute and Reading Room, and also a Working Men’s Club, in Northgate. The Cliff is the seat of Mrs. Maxstead; Cliff House of Mrs. Whitaker; West Hill House of Mrs. Grotrian; Tranby House is the residence of Algernon Henry Barkworth esq. J.P.; Tranby Lodge of Lt.-Col. William Henry Wellsted J.P.; Tranby Park of Alwyn Dudley Smith esq.; The Mount of Oswald Sanderson esq. and Hesslewood of Mrs. Pease. The principal landowners are Mrs. Pease, the Hull Charter House, and the vicar of Hessle. The Urban District Council Recreation Ground, in Park avenue, opened in 1910, was laid out at a cost pf £1,400. The soil is rich loam; subsoil clay. The chief crops are wheat and beans. The area is 2,111 acres of land, excluding water; rateable value £37,653; the population of the township in 1881 was 2,557, in 1901, 3754, and in 1911, 5,319.
ANLABY is a township, partly in this parish, full particulars of which will be found under Kirk Ella.
Post, M.O., T. & Telephonic Express Delivery Office, - George Henry Barlow, postmaster. Deliveries commence at 7 a.m. & 12.50 & 5.40 p.pm.; dispatched at 9.40 a.m. & 1, 5.15, 7.30 & 9.30 p.m. Sundays at 7.45 p.pm.
Sub-Post & M.O. Office, Hull road, Hessle. – Reginald Botham, sub-postmaster.
Hull Road, also known as Cow Lane, Hessle before the creation of The Squarer in 1922.
URBAN DISTRICT COUNCIL
Office, South lane.
Chairman, Sir Erik O. Ohlson J.P. Norrlund, Chesnut avenue.
Fras. Churchill Manley J.P.
Ernest H. Marshall (vice chairman)
Robert Henry Mungall
George J Page
Ernest C. S. Snow
Clerk, William Coulson, Parish hall & Tower hill
Treasurer, Charles Judge, Barclay & Company’s Ltd. Bank, Hull
Deputy Medical Officer, Samuel Harvard Johnson, M.R.S.C.Eng., L.R.C.P. Lond., The Weir
Sanitary Inspector, Inspector of Buildings & Hackney Carriages, Leonard Gibson, Primrose villa, Hull road & Parish hall
Collector, Fred Goodes, 13 Salisbury street
Road Foreman & Pindar, S Collinson, 5 Florence avenue
Cemetery, Northgate, George W. Palmer, Swanland road, sexton & caretaker
Church Lads’ Brigade; head quarters, Southgate: T.H. Cross, sec.
Council Recreation Ground, Park avenue, Beverley road, William Atkinson, caretaker
East Riding Police Station, Ferriby road, Chas Turner, sergeant in charge, & 3 men
Fire Brigade, William Coulson, captain. T.N. 99
Hessle Institute Limited, The Weir, H.S. Kirk, sec
Sculcoates Union Cottage Homes, Hull road; F, Dawson, supt.; Mrs. Mary Saunders, matron
Public Elementary School, erected in 1854, & since thrice enlarged at a cost of over £5,000, for 312 boys, 300 girls & 291 infants; David Vaughan, master; Miss Bailey, mistress; Miss Stead, infants mistress
Railway Station, Joseph Oliver, station master
Carriers to Hull. – John Dickens, daily returning same day; George Sneeston, daily except sat. returning same day & Mrs Marshall Wallis, tues & fri. returning same days
Omnibuses.- Frederick Owbridge, to Hull daily.