Hessle 1850s O S Map
This map shows Hessle in the 1850s with its major roads marked in red and some of the larger houses highlighted in yellow. It also gives us the names and sites of the former open fields, and the boundaries of the enclosed fields.
Houses: Hesslewood, Tranby House, Tranby Lodge, Tranby Park, Hessle Mount,Hessle House, Cliff House, Southfield House, Hessle Lodge, The Cottage, Coburg Villa, Woodfield Villa; also Hessle Mill, Hessle Cliff Mill and the Ferry Boat Inn.
Fields: Low Field, Northfield, Westfield, Southfield, Woodfield.
The chalk quarries and brick and tile works are aslso clearly marked.
1850s, Sheahan and Whellan
HESSLE.- The area of this parish, according to the Census Return of 1851 is 3.910 acres, including the coast, and the population 1,576 souls. The assessed property in 1815 amounted to £7,373. Rateable value, £11,131. The parish lies on the north bank of the river Humber, across which is a royal ferry to Barton on the opposite shore. Edward I. en suite crossed this ferry in A.D. 1300 Hessle is intersected by the Hull and Selby Railway, the first intermediate Station on that line being here.
At Hessle Cliff are most extensive quarries of chalk, and several mills for the manufacture of whiting; and here the great range of the Wold district terminates.
The manor of Haisell was held by the ancient lords of Holderness, and afterwards by the lords of Cottingham. The present Lord of the Manor is Major Richard Sykes, and the other chief proprietors of the soil are T. B. Locke, Esq., J. R. Pease, Esq., and Henry Barkworth; but several other freeholders have possession in the parish.
As we have seen, the church of Holy Trinity at Hull was a chapel of ease to the church at Hessle, until the year 1661; and the incumbents were styled Vicars of Hessle-cum-Hull. The Living of Hessle is a Vicarage in the patronage off the Crown, and incumbency of Rev. Henry Newmarch. It is valued in the King’s Books at £10.7s.1d., and now returned at £303. per ann. The rectorial tithes were commuted, at the enclosure in 1794, for an allotment of about 300 acres of land and a yearly modus.
The Church (All Saints) is a large handsome edifice, in the Early English style, comprising a nave, side aisle, chancel, and a west embattled tower, surmounted with an octagonal spire. The tower contains four bells, and a clock. The clerestory of the nave is embattled, and has five pointed windows of three lights. The interior of the church is handsome, and was refitted in 1853. There are some stained glass windows in the chancel, and a large painting of the last supper, by M. Parmentier, in 1711. This painting was formerly placed above the communion table at Trinity Church, Hull and was removed here by J. R. Pease Esq., in 1831. The pulpit and reading desk are handsome. The nave is divided from the aisles by three pointed arches, and the chancel from the nave by two similar arches. The font is an octagon basin of stone on a similar pedestal. Three sides of the nave are galleried, and there is an organ at the west end.
The Vicarage House is a neat residence near the church.
The Village of Hessle, which is situated about 4 miles W. by S. of Hull, is large, well-built and contains many excellent houses, some good shops, and there are a number of mansions and villa residences in the vicinity; the finest of which are Hessle Mount, the seat of Thomas Bentley Locke, Esq.; and Hesslewood House, the seat of J. R. Pease, Esq.
In the village are places of worship for the Wesleyans, Primitive Methodists, and Wesleyan Reformers. The Hospital and School, given to the parish many years ago by a Rev. Joseph Wilson, form a building, containing three low rooms for three poor almspeople, and a chamber over them used as a schoolroom. The schoolmaster is paid £15. per ann., and the almspeople receive £2. each per ann., from Chamberlain’s Charity. The poor of Hessle have other charities distributed among them, to the amount of about £50. per ann. In 1825 an Act was passed for a new road from Hull to Hessle, which was opened July 28th, 1826.