Organisations, Groups, Meetups, Workshops & Courses, Production & Equipment, Venues, Directory
- Screenwest - WA's peak screen funding and development agency, committed to working in partnership with the screen industry to develop, support and promote film. Its 'Film in WA' section includes incentives, locations, production directories and info, and its Film Friendly WA program.
- Screen Hub - sister site to ArtsHub, Screen Hub provides journalism for professionals working in or aspiring to enter film, television or screen-based careers. It includes links to grants, education, opportunities and events, as well as profiles for local filmmakers (surprisingly few for WA).
- Arts.gov.au > Filming in Australia page
- Screen Australia - a Federal Government agency charged with supporting Australian screen development, production and promotion. Screen Australia was established under the Screen Australia Act 2008 and from 1 July 2008 took over the functions and appropriations of its predecessor agencies, the Australian Film Commission (AFC), the Film Finance Corporation Australia (FFC) and Film Australia Limited.
- Ausfilm - Australia's gateway for information about filming in Australia. Ausfilm has offices in Sydney and Los Angeles and provides details on shooting in every state, including locations, cast and crew, facilities, technicians and creative talent.
- Cinema Australia | FB Page - an online space dedicated to the support and promotion of Australian made films through independent news, reviews, features and interviews. Cinema Australia stands alone in film media as the only website in the world solely dedicated to Australian films and the people who make them.
- Film Ink - Australia’s leading and most trusted source when it comes to all things movies and the screen industry, with a foundation and special focus on the Australian film industry.
Facebook Groups & Meetups
- Perth Film Network FB Page | Group - aims to bring all of WA Film Industry together and make it stronger creating opportunities and networking functions.
- WA Indigenous Filmmakers (WAIFs) FB Page - a place for WA Indigenous Filmmakers (WAIFs) to connect, share and inform. If you have a project you want to tell the world about, need crew or advice, or just want to see what others are up to in WA, this is the place!
- Black Maria Film Collective FB Page - Black Maria Film Collective (BMFC) strives to be Perth’s definitive film and artistic hub; screening films and organising networking events for Perth's film and creative community.
- Access Reel FB Page - aims to deliver a high quality and diverse mix of film reviews, news, interviews and giveaways. Based in Western Australia we host a whole bunch of Screenings and have heaps of giveaways.
- Meetup Groups > Film, includes:
- Perth Film Meetup Group - a group for filmmakers and film-lovers; a hub for those looking to network.
- Film Making Group - participators includes film makers, writers, actors, editors, entrepreneurs, film lovers.
- Perth Conscious Film Meetup - Looking for disruptive creators. People seeking to change perception of the world via conscious filmmaking. Ground floor thought process (more like awareness than thought).
- The Movie and Dinner Group - open to members of all ages and background, whether you love quirky indy movies, Hollywood blockbusters or thoughtful documentaries we hope to have something for you.
- Movie and Dinner of the Month Ladies NOR - Ladies, let’s meet up for a drink (coffee/wine) and then enjoy a movie together. We’ve started having dinner after the movie, venue confirmed the week before.
- Revelation Film Festival - commenced its formal life in 1997 in the basement back room of the Greenwich Club , Perth's legendary jazz venue. The annual event now includes over 120 international films presented at cinemas, galleries, cafes and bars across Perth. It attracts 12,000 patrons and 50 national and international guests over 13 days.
- XR:WA - XR:WA is about more than just being a gathering place for those working in digital screen-based art, entertainment, education, training, research and industry, but extends the Revelation Film Festival’s aim of developing an “ideas market” for screen-based and immersive industries in Western Australia. It also provides the opportunity for the broader WA community to explore and experience these stunning immersive experiences and technologies against a backdrop of talks, exhibitions and access to the experiences and the makers themselves. If you would like to learn more about XR:WA and it’s events, visit our Program page
- Perth Film Festival - run by LotteryWest, part of the Perth Festivalm itself born out of the University of Western Australia’s annual summer school entertainment nights as a ‘festival for the people’ on January 3, 1953. Since then, Perth Festival has seeded and cultivated decades of cultural growth as the oldest arts festival in the Southern Hemisphere. Search events when the event commences.
- Eventbrite > Perth + Film and Media + Screening filter
- WA Unlocked Film Festival - WA Unlocked aims to showcase the ever-growing talent of West Aussie filmmakers and their elite productions
- Short Cuts Film Festival - the Greater Dandenong Short Cuts Film Festival celebrates art, community and storytelling by providing an artistic platform for local community members, emerging artists and accomplished professionals from across the globe to share their stories.Films are across the following three categories:
- Emerging – current or recent film graduates with less than five years’ experience
- Community/Student – primary and secondary students and people with no professional filmmaking training
- Open – professional film makers
- RunNation Film Festival 2019 - Perth Premiere - RunNation Film Festival 2019. An evening of inspirational running films and a gathering of like-minded people.
- Muslim Film Festival - Australia’s first Muslim Film Festival has started showcasing an array of films from national and international producers, celebrating the diversity of the Muslim filmmaking community and exploring different themes among them including the growing issue of anti-Islamic sentiment in our community (from newstribe).
Workshops & Courses
The driving force for many filmmakers is universities and other teaching institutions, as students form a hub of talent during their studies.
- SAE Perth BA Film - Making the leap from being a fan of film to becoming a force in film happens right here. Our bachelor degree puts you in the spotlight from day one, helping you gain the practical experience and technical knowledge needed to launch yourself in the world of motion picture. Starting with the fundamentals and rolling through to the finer, more complex aspects of cinematography, you'll acquire a very particular set of skills during your time. Choose to specialise in either Production where the focus is on directing and producing or Post-Production where you’ll refine your skills in editing, composing and colour grading.
- ECU - BA Media and Communications (Screen Production major) - Students will produce creative and engaging content for the screen in ECUs Screen Production major. Work with WAAPA screen actors, dancers and composers. Learn skills in concept development and scriptwriting, production management and directing, camera and editing while working collaboratively in small groups on diverse projects including drama, factuals, music video and screen installations.
- WA Screen Academy (BA and Masters) - the WA Screen Academy, located on the ECU Mount Lawley campus, was established in 2005, and since then has cemented its reputation as one of Australia’s most innovative and outstanding advanced-level training programs in screen production.
- Murdoch - BA Screen Production - bring stories to life as a Murdoch Screen Production student. In this course you’ll learn about scriptwriting, producing, directing, cinematography, production design, digital video editing, sound recording and sound design. Gain hands-on experience from international award winning experienced film-makers, and use a wide range of professional production equipment and industry standard facilities. These include digital editing suites, 4K industry cameras, a broadcast quality TV studio, and a state-of-the-art sound stage.
- Curtin - BA Arts (Screen Arts Major) - The Screen Arts major prepares you for comprehensive opportunities in the expanding screen-based media industry. You will learn to apply screen theories to create your own works, whether in the realm of factual, events or drama.
- TAFE - Diploma of Screen and Media (Film and Television) - This course will provide you with the skills and knowledge you need for a career in the film and television industry. On completion of the Diploma, you can specialise in directing, cinematography, producing, production design or sound design with further study at North Metropolitan TAFE; or choose to find employment in the industry.
- Notre Dame - BA Arts (Film and Screen Production major) - The Film & Screen Production Major integrates theory and practice through an applied study of screen production to provide the creative and artistic tools necessary for emerging filmmakers. You will take hands-on production classes that expand your knowledge in a collaborative environment. Our program will guide you from introductory to advanced screen practices.
- Perth Film School | Events - Training for actors seeking professional careers in film, theatre and television.
- Perth Youth Film Academy - We're dedicated to the production of fun-filled courses for children and teenagers interested in learning more about the film industry. The courses have been designed to encourage and inspire creativity through the art of filmmaking.
- Film Bites - We teach Screen Acting, Filmmaking, Animation and Gaming at our Malaga studio, and Screen Acting at 5 venues in the metro area.
Perth Film Studios
Most local filmmakers find their own places to shoot, and most universities and courses have their own stages, including Murdoch, SAE Perth, Curtin, and UWA, although for legal reasons these usually are not available for hire.
ScreenWest lists the following studios:
- Raz Rentals - Raz Rentals is a Perth based camera equipment hire company with gear for a wide range of TVC, film, music video and corporate video productions.
- Location Equipment - at Location Equipment, we have the largest range of professional camera equipment available for rental in Perth, Western Australia.
- HD Rental - a professional broadcast equipment rental house, based in Perth, Western Australia. We supply high quality studio and location equipment to local, interstate, and overseas film and television production companies and individuals who plan to shoot in Western Australia.
Article > Cinema Heritage (WATVHistory)
Independant/Arthouse Cinemas (Indoor)
- Luna Palace Cinemas -Perth's leading independent cinemas. Our aim is to bring the very best mix of arthouse, contemporary and classic cinema enriched with loads of specially curated film festivals, Talking Picture events and HD Captured stage performances.
- Luna Leederville - Luna Leederville is located at the top of the Oxford Street cafe strip, right in the heart of Leederville's great cafes and restaurants. Luna is Perth's funkiest cinema and home to the legendary Room screenings, New York Met Opera and National theatre Live screenings...
- Luna on SX - Luna On SX is located midway along Essex St, which runs off Fremantle's famous café strip on South Terrace. Luna on SX has it's own unique Freo thing going on. Hidden down a laneway between Norfolk and Essex Streets, Luna on SX can sometimes feel like your own private movie house...
- Windsor Cinema - easy to get to, situated at the beginning of Stirling Highway in Nedlands, the Windsor Cinema has ample free car parking located behind the cinema. We are now fully licensed so come down early and enjoy a drink in our newly renovated foyer...
- also Luna Outdoor and Camelot Outdoor (below)
- Palace Cinemas - operates with a program of high quality international & local art-house films, mainstream titles, operas & events, at 23 locations Australiawide.
- Palace Raine Square - located on the top level of the new Raine Square redevelopment, the luxury complex features nine traditional cinemas and four Palace Platinum boutique screens, all fitted with leather reclining seats handmade in Spain.
- Palace Cinema Paradiso - Cinema Paradiso is home to four stylish cinemas with a European flavour that screen the best in world cinema. As will as quality art house, independent and foreign cinema, a selection of the best in high end mainstream movies screen in the repertoire.
- Girl's School Cinema - A winter-warming pop-up cinema from the team behind the popular FRINGE WORLD Festival and Rooftop Movies. Featuring blockbuster and crowd-pleasing films, tasty pizzas, cosy beanbag seats and a luxe lounge bar.
- The Backlot Perth - The Backlot Perth is a purpose built private screening room for film and corporate presentations. Nestled between Northbridge and Leederville, on the outskirts of Perth’s CBD, the Backlot Perth features a 50 seat screening and presentation room, lounge and bar area, providing plenty of options for hosting your important guests.
- Grand Cinemas: Armadale, Currambine, Cygnet, Joondalup and Warwick - originally formed as a family business in 1928 and through its history has been one of the great innovators in the West Australian cinema industry...
- Ace Cinemas: Midland Gate and Rockingham- Ace Cinemas, a West Australian owned company, has been entertaining Perth for more than 60 years...
Most outdoor cinemas are only open during parts of the year, notably Spring and Summer.
- Luna Outdoor - Luna Outdoor Cinema is located behind the cinema at 155 Oxford Street, Leederville. Tickets are to be purchased from the indoor box office and entry is either through the laneway or the Luna Lounge. The seating is a mixture of bean bags and table and chair seating. It is an intimate outdoor venue, and therefore it has not only become home to a number of gnomes, but it has also become advisable to pre-purchase tickets – especially during the busy summer holiday period.
- Camelot Outdoor - movies under the stars in the intimate art deco surroundings of Memorial Hall in Mosman Park.
- Rooftop Movies (Perth CBD) - the producers of FRINGE WORLD Festival present an open-air cinema experience like no other, six levels above the ground in the centre of the city, complete with an exciting film program.
- Somerville Auditorium (Nedlands @ UWA) - in 1927, Somerville conceived the idea of a venue defined by a cathedral of Norfolk pine trees. Today the venue is best known for the Perth International Arts Festival's Lotterywest Film Season from November through to April each year.
- Moonlight Cinema (King's Park) - New release and cult movies screened in a licensed outdoor venue with picnic-style seating and food.
- Galaxy Drive In Theatre (Kingsley) - We show New Release Movies under the stars at Perths only Drive In Theatre! With an onsite cafe and friendly staff your night can be stress free.
- Open Air Cinemas (East Perth) - American Express Openair Cinemas is bringing food, fun and flicks to 10 cities across Australia & New Zealand. Join us under the stars this summer.
- Northbridge Piazza | FB Page (Northbridge) - occasional screenings and other events
- Telethon Community Cinemas (Bassendean | Burswood | Murdoch | ECU Joondalup Pines)
Cinemas Near Perth Worth Visiting
[See printed version of Campaign Brief for updated Directories by category, e.g. cinema advertising, make-up artists, props, television networks, voice-overs etc]
- Perth Filmmakers Directory FB Page - the completely free & easy way to find the cast, crew & companies for your next film & tv project.
- WA Filmmakers Directory FB Page - please share any work opportunities or related posts for Actors and Crew and let's keep our buddies busy.
- ScreenHub Individual Profiles
- ScreenHub Business Profiles
- ScreenWest staff