The Astronomical Association of
Conference of Northern California Astronomy Clubs
SATURDAY, April 7th, 2001
9:00 AM TO 5:00 PM
Chabot Space and Science Center
10000 Skyline Boulevard, Oakland, CA 94619
This event will showcase the astronomy clubs and give everybody the opportunity to exchange ideas and get to know each other.
ON THE AGENDA:
- Northern California Astronomy Club Presentations - what's new, what's old, what's cool, what's hot!
- Club workshops - for Newsletter Editors, Web Developers, and more...
- A Full Moon Daytime Indoor Messier Marathon, using the Ask Jeeves Planetarium Zeiss Universarium Mark VIII star-ball projector (bring your binoculars!!!)
- We'll have a fantastic speaker or two.
- Presentation of annual AANC awards.
- Open house for attendees with the Chabot telescopes: Rachel, Leah and the Transit Telescope to talk about the restoration efforts.
- Observing through the telescopes in the evening.
- EAS (Eastbay Astronomical Society) meeting at night at Chabot.
- Time to take in the wonders of the new Chabot.
Registration fees (Includes admission to Chabot and an Ask Jeeves Planetarium ticket) :
- Advance Registration: $20.00
- 10-18 years of age: $10.00
- At the door (all ages) $25.00.
Make check payable to "Astronomical Association of Northern California" and mail to Don Stone, AANC Treasurer 19047 Robinson Road Sonoma, CA 95476-5517. Deadline for preregistration: April 1, 2001.
To register, print out and mail in the registration form page. More exciting events may be added, so for up to date information, please revisit this website.
For more information call (415) 721-3901 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
You may print out an AANC Conference Flier in PDF [attached--bottom of page].
- 8:00 a.m.- 10:00 a.m registration at the door
- 10:00 a.m.- whenever late registration in the Teacher Research Center (TRC)
- Enjoy a cup of coffee and a pastry in the TRC before heading over to the Ask Jeeves Planetarium for opening ceremonies. No food or drink in the planetarium, of course.
- 9:00 a.m.- 9:30 a.m. Welcome remarks by Dr. Mike Reynolds, Executive Director and CEO of Chabot Space and Science Center, followed by welcome to the Ask Jeeves Planetarium by Director of Astronomy Jose Olivarez. I'll add my 2 cents and then let the games begin by introducing the marathon.
- 9:30 a.m. - 10:30 a.m. The first Indoor Daytime Full Moon Messier Marathon hosted by author Robert Garfinkle, F.R.A.S. Bring binoculars and red flashlights.
- 10:30 a.m. - 11:00 a.m. Break - meet and greet your fellow astronomy club members in the Teacher Research Center and wander over to the Astronomy Classroom nearby. Coffee, teas, juice and goodies are brought to you by your friends at the ASP, Morrison Planetarium and the Sidewalk Astronomers.
- 11:00 a.m. - 11:15 a.m. Larry Snyder, Davis Star Show
- 11:15 a.m .- 11:30 a.m. Jack Sales, IDA
- 11:30 a.m. -11:45 a.m. James (Jay) White II, Executive Director, Astronomical Society of the Pacific
- 11:45 a.m. - 12:00 p.m. Karin Avila, Project Astro
- No talks from 12:00 p.m. until 1:00 p.m. Get your box lunch in the TRC - Teacher Research Center and eat it there, or in the Astronomy Classroom, or wander outside Chabot Space and Science Center. You are on your own.
- 1:00 p.m - 1:20 p.m. AANC Awards for 2001 will be given to these special people: Dr. Mike Reynolds, Ph.D is our Professional Astronomer and Al Nagler is our Commercial Astronomer of the year. We have two amateur astronomers of the year this year. They are Alane Alchorn from the Tri Valley Stargazers, and Jeff Baldwin from the Stockton Astronomical Society. The Hercules Stargazers are the honorees in the Special category this year. Al and Jeff won't be with us Saturday, but the others will! Please congratulate them when you see them!
- 1:20 - 2:00 p.m. Keynote talk: John Dobson, founder of the San Francisco Sidewalk Astronomers
- 2:00 p.m. - 2:15 p.m. Merlin Combs, Sonoma County Astronomical Society
- 2:15 p.m. - 2:30 p.m. Ken Lum, Antique Telescope Society
- 2:30 p.m. - 3:00 p.m. Jon Jay Wilson, Mount Diablo Observatory Association
- 3:00 p.m. - 3:15 p.m. Break
- 3:15 p.m. - 3:30 p.m. Ken Lum, Peninsula Astronomical Society
- 3:30 p.m. - 3:45 p.m. Mike Koop, San Jose Astronomical Society
- 3:45 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. Jim Scala, Mount Diablo Astronomical Society
- 4:00 p.m. - 4:15 p.m. Al Stern, San Francsico Amateur Astronomers
- 4:15 p.m. - 4:30 p.m. Chuck Grant, Tri Valley Stargazers
- 4:30 p.m. - 4:45 p.m. Chuck Grant - a multi-club activity related e-mailing list
- 4:45 p.m. - 5:00 p.m. Mike Koop and Jane Houston Jones, California Meteor Society
Astronomical Association of Northern California
Central Valley Astronomers
Astronomical Society of the Pacific
Davis Astronomy Club
Santa Cruz Astronomy Club
Fremont Peak Observatory Association
San Francisco Amateur Astronomers
San Francisco Sidewalk Astronomers
San Jose Astronomical Association
San Mateo Astronomical Society
Sonoma County Astronomical Society
Mt. Diablo Observatory Association
Stockton Astronomical Society
Valley of the Moon
Astronomical Society of the Central Coast
Lawrence Hall of Science
Mt. Tamalpais Interpretive Association