Scribd vs. Audible:
Audiobook Subscription Services Comparison 2023
In this comparison Scribd Vs Audible, you will learn which of the services has a better audiobook library, quality of audio, and, pricing. We are going to find out whether Scribd's membership is truly "unlimited", and whether Audible has the world's largest audiobook library. We will explain the difference between them, talk about each platform's unique features, and their pros and cons.
Most people these days are very busy balancing work and family life, and finding time for hobbies - like reading - can be quite challenging. That is why more are more people are switching to audiobooks. Since you are reading this article, you are probably planning to do the same.
Scribd vs Audible: Overview
Audible has more flexible pricing plans than Scribd and a much bigger library. Both Audible and Scribd offer plans that give members access to an unlimited number of books for a low monthly fee. Audible allows you to keep the books you download with a Premium Plan; Scribd only allows you to borrow titles.
Audiobooks Memberships Prices
It is no secret that pricing is an important decision making factor, so let's take a look and see how much Audible and Scribd charge their members monthly.
Charges their members a flat monthly fee of $8,99 and that gives them unlimited access to all of Scribd's titles, including:
Yes, it is a great deal compared to Audible, but keep in mind, that Audible has the largest audiobook library among similar services, and because of that it remains the most popular audiobook platform on the market in 2021.
Offers different options. You can purchase Audible Plus (All you Can Listen to plan) for $7,95 a Gold Monthly Plan for $14,95 a month ($149,50 per year for Gold Annual) and get 1 credit each month, or Platinum Monthly Plan for $22,95 ($229,50 per year for Platinum Annual) and get 2 credits each month. Each credit can be used to purchase 1 audiobook. Plus, you also get 2 Audible Originals each month as a bonus with either plan. If needed, extra credits can be purchased at any time. All credits expire within 365 days. It is possible to extend the expiry date of unused credits by switching to an inactive Light Plan that costs $9,95 per year.
There is an option of signing up for Audible Silver Plan and get 1 credit on alternate months at a price of $14.98. That means that you will be paying $14,95 for 2 months and during that period you will get 1 audiobook and 4 Audible Originals.
Audible also offers an Escape Plan that gives you unlimited access to thousands of romantic audiobooks including classics like Jane Austen's "Emma" and Louisa May Alcott's "Little Women". The plan costs $12,95 a month. However, if you have an subscription then you will only have to pay an extra $6,95 a month for Audible Escape.
Lastly, there is a Student Plan that costs $9,95 a month and includes 1 title and 2 Originals.
Question to ask yourserf: How much are you planning to spend on audiobooks per month?
What Is Included In Membership Plans?
Scribd audiobooks library contains over 150,000 titles. The membership plan includes unlimited access to all titles in the library. That means that you can read as many books as you wish every month. Scribd membership includes full access to millions of member-contributed written works such as essays and short stories. Is there more? You bet! Active subscribers are granted free access to Scribd Perks, a selection of great services: such as MUBI, Headspace, Peak Pro, FarFaria, etc.
Find out more information about features in the full Scribd Review
Audiobooks library contains more than 470,000 titles making it the largest audiobook library in the world. As we have already mentioned, membership plans include either 1 or 2 titles and 2 Audible Originals of your choice every month. But is there anything else included? Yes! You also get a 30% discount on additional purchases, access to Original Premium podcasts, Daily Deal which allows you to purchase a new and different book every day at a reduced price, easy audiobook returns and exchanges, exclusive guided wellness plans (meditation and fitness programs), and discount on Audible Escape plan.
Scribd compatible devices :
- iOS devices with iOS9 or later (including Apple Watch)
- Android devices with Android 4.4 or later
- Kindle devices with Fire OS 4 or later (excluding Kindle Paperwhite)
- Mac & Windows computers
All about installing the app on devices.
Audible compatible devices:
- iOS devices - iPhones, iPods (Touch and Classic), iPads
- Android devices - smartphones and tablets
- Windows Phones
- Kindle Fire
- Kindle Oasis 8th Gen, Kindle Oasis 9th Gen
- Kindle Paperwhite 10th Gen
- Sandisk & Creative MP3 players
- VictorReader System
- BrailleNote & Apex BrailleNote
- Garmin & TomTom GPS devices
- Mac & Windows computers
Which device are you planning to use for audiobooks?
Scribd Or Audible App
Pros and cons
1. A low monthly price of just $8,95.
2. Offers a wide variety of content: from audiobooks to user-contributed documents and even sheet music which can be especially great for musicians.
3. has a big e-book library that features titles from major publishers.
4. membership brings unlimited access to over 100 excellent magazines, such as Men's Health, Lonely Planet Traveller, TIME, PC Magazine, The Guardian, and ESPN The Magazine.
5. All members gain access to other services with Scribd Perks.
6. offers an option of signing up for the Scribd + NYT bundle for $12,99 a month that includes all the benefits of the premium membership and a subscription to The New York Times.
7. you can save content on up to 4 devices for offline reading and can open any of the saved titles on up to 6 devices.
8. The Scribd app is very user-friendly.
1. After you purchase audibooks, they are yours to keep even if you cancel your subscription. That means that you have lifetime access to all the books in your library.
2. Audible boasts an impressive library, the largest in the world, and has at least 3 times more books than Scribd. Bestsellers and new books are usually released on Audible first.
3. Audible offers All You Can Listen to Plan for $7,95 per month (Rent audiobooks membership similar to Scribd)
3. If you are unhappy with any book you purchased you can exchange or return it within 365 days.
4. There is no limit to the number of devices you can use your account on.
5. It is compatible with more devices than Scribd.
6. offers special discounts for members and various benefits like unlimited listening to Original Podcasts.
7. "Send The Book" feature allows you to share the book that you liked with family or friends for free.
8. has a special plan for students that costs just $9,95 a month.
9. audiobooks have an excellent audio quality of 64 kbps.
10. provides a great reliable app.
11. customer service is available 24/7 via phone, e-mail, or chat.
12. has a widget
13. Whispersync for Voice
1. Although Scribd offers an unlimited membership, some users reported that they have been troubles reading more than 4 books a month. It seems like Scribd limits (throttle) access to more popular titles after you reach a certain amount of books per month.
2. It has a lower audio quality than Audible of just 32 kbps.
3. allows you to borrow books, but you don't own them. If you cancel your membership, you won't have access to your downloads anymore.
4. offers only online access to customer support.
1. Gold membership includes just 1 title a month for $14,95 (plus 2 Originals) and not everyone would want to spend that much on an audiobook subscription service.
2. Unlike Scribd, Audible library offers only audiobooks - no e-books, magazines, etc.
3. not easy to find a podcasts https://www.audible.com/ep/AudioShows
Audible vs. Scribd: Final Verdict
Both are great audiobooks services, and it wasn't easy for us to choose which one is the best. Obviously after comparing Scribd vs Audible, Scribd offers a wider range of products than Audible, such as e-books, magazines, and sheet music, and it costs less. At the same time Audible plays on a wider range of devices. Scribd would be the best choice for people who are on a tight budget or those who enjoy reading e-books and online magazines. However, if you are just planning to listen to audiobooks, then Audible is a better choice. Especially after the introduction of Audible Plus (RENT All YOU CAN LISTEN). The Audible premium has a much larger library that basically has every book. The price is pretty good especially if you opt for an annual membership. Plus, you own all the audiobooks downloaded from Audible.
We suggest you sign up for a free trial with both Audible and Scribd first to see which of these two audiobook subscription services best fits your tastes.
Audible has always been considered to be a better service than Scribd, but many people preferred Scribd because it offered unlimited access to all books in their library for a low monthly fee. However, now that Audible launched an All-You-Can-Listen subscription plan that costs only $7,95 per month and includes unlimited access to thousands of audiobooks, Audible Originals, and podcasts, more and more people are choosing Audible over Scribd. Plus, Audible offers a 30-day free trial for new members and existing Audible users who have tried Audible Premium ($14,95/month) membership in the past.
So even though I'm a loyal Scribd member, I use Audible more often now. If you want to try Audible, you can get a free 30-day trial plus get two free audiobooks at the link below.
Click to Start Your 30 days of Audible Plus: Listen All You Want