Our church has recently marked 135 years at its current home on Tamworth Road. In 2009 we celebrated 125 years of Christian witness in our present building, which replaced an 1822 building, but the society must have existed for some years before that.
Our church is built on a solid foundation, that of Christ our Redeemer.
Our Methodist society at Sawley was firmly established when the first Wesleyan chapel was built in 1822, in front of where the WI hall now stands on Wilne Road. Later a Primitive Methodist Chapel was built almost alongside, and Clowes Primitive chapel was built nearer to Long Eaton.
Perhaps the approach of the fiftieth anniversary of the first chapel provided a spur, or perhaps it was the changing needs of the community, as in 1871 permission was sought to build a new, larger chapel on the site of our present building, where Victoria Street was under construction. The land was finally purchased in 1883 and the chapel opened on 23rd October 1884.
While there have been changes over the years, including the Methodist Union in 1932 and the welcoming of members from the former Primitive chapels, our chapel has continued to present day in the same building, and was always part of the Castle Donington Circuit until this circuit joined with the Ashby and Coalville Circuit to form the National Forest East Circuit in 2011.
We look forward to welcoming friends old and new to our modest chapel, and trust that the Lord will strengthen and guide us to continue this long tradition of witness in the most appropriate way for our community’s future needs.