Appendix B: What to do if a safeguarding disclosure is made to you
1. Reassure the child/adult that s/he is right to report the behaviour
2. Listen carefully and calmly to him/her
3. Keep questions to a minimum – and never ask leading questions
4. Do not promise secrecy. Inform him/her that you must report your conversation to the LTA Safe and Inclusive Tennis Team (and the police in an emergency) because it is in his/her best interest
5. REPORT IT! If someone is in immediate danger call the police (999), otherwise talk to the LTA Safeguarding Team as soon as possible. Once reported, the Safe and Inclusive Tennis Team will work with you to ensure the safety and well-being of the child/ adult at risk
6. Do not permit personal doubt prevent you from reporting the concern/disclosure
7. Make an immediate objective written record of the conversation using the Reporting a Concern Form (Please follow this link to download the ‘Reporting a Concern’ form.). Make certain you distinguish between what the person has actually said and the inferences you may have made. Your report should be sent to the LTA Safeguarding Team within 48 hours of the incident, who will store it safely.