When looking at the machine, it is interesting to note that almost all the cutting chips wind up in the linear guide and ball screw of the Y axis. The X and Z axes are very clean by comparison.
This is an especially big problem because they wind up in the drive belt:
In the back of the machine I just put a mat held on my magnets. This works surprisingly well.
For the front, I still had a HEMA stainless steel way cover that I used to have attached to my Optical Table CNC lathe. So I mounted that to the machine. The bracket that I used for that is the first part that this machine made for itself.
And while I was at it, I also mounted the motor on the other side of the mounting plate. It's much easier to maneuver around the front of the machine now.