About the Churches
The beginning of our church started Jan. 27, 1853. We were a Cumberland Presbyterian Church before we became First Presbyterian Church in Odessa, MO. We hosted a Spring Presbytery meeting April 1, 1883. The pulpit chairs were a gift from Mrs. Lou Cobb for the new church and we still use them today. The first pastor was Rev. S. Finis King. We had about 25 to 30 members. In May 1906, the Cumberland Presbyterian Church combined with the Presbyterian Church USA. Our church was on the corner of Second and Dryden streets. The original land was donated by John C. Cobb. The church survived fires and wind storms over the years.
The Odessa Community of Christ is located at 515 S. 1st St. in Odessa. The church was originally built and dedicated in the spring of 1949. A wing of Sunday School classrooms was added several years later. Our worship services begin at 10:30 a.m. each Sunday.
Community of Christ was born out of a period of reflection, revival and restoration in America in the early 1800's. Founded in 1830 and reorganized in 1860, today, the Community of Christ promotes communities of joy, hope, love and peace in more than 60 nations across the globe. God intends Christian faith to be lived in companionship with Jesus Christ and with other disciples in service to the world. The church of Jesus Christ is made of all those who respond to Jesus’ call. Community of Christ is part of the whole body of Christ. We are called to be a prophetic people, proclaiming the peace of Jesus Christ and creating communities where all will be welcomed and brought into renewed relationship with God. We believe in Jesus Christ, the Son of the living God, the Word made flesh, the Savior of the world, fully human and fully divine. Through Jesus’ life and ministry, death and resurrection, God reconciles the world and breaks down the walls that divide. Christ is our peace, and Christ's mission is our mission. We invite you to worship with us!