NICA Core Principles:
1. Inclusion – All student-athletes participate, no one is benched.
2. Equality – Female and male student-athletes are treated equally.
3. Strong Body – NICA emphasizes wellness through lifestyle, nutrition and exercise.
4. Strong Mind – NICA student-athletes are students first.
5. Strong Character – NICA student-athletes are expected to work hard, respect others and give back to their teams and communities.
1. Parents and Family – parents can participate in the activity with their children.
2.Transportation Empowerment – Learning how to ride a bike safely and efficiently in any condition empowers our high school aged athletes.
3. Independence – Learning how to ride and maintain a mountain bike encourages self reliance, independence and confidence.
4. Environment and the Future – Mountain biking provides an opportunity for high school aged athletes to experience the outdoors and become more aware of the natural environments around them.
5. Helping our Schools – Engaging students in a sport they love means more happy, motivated and focused students. Students gain self confidence and leadership skills. Our programs cost schools no money and receive no tax-based funding.
6. Education and Discipline – NICA programs are educational based at all levels with pro-active learning encouraged at all levels of participation: Student-athletes learning the best skills, training methods, safety info, bike maintenance, competitive strategies and leadership traits. NICA also supports minimal GPA requirements and coaching the "whole athlete." Coaches learning the best skills, training methods, safety info, bike maintenance, competitive strategies, organizational methods and leadership traits. League Directors and NICA Staff learning the best skills, training methods, safety info, bike maintenance, competitive strategies, organizational methods and leadership traits. We are also interested in working with volunteers with a willingness to learn the best practices of NICA work.
7. Community and Mission – NICA is all about the social enrichment and achievement that can occur when otherwise disparate individuals and families work together to accomplish a common goal. NICA believes that great and long-lasting success is achieved by focusing on a specific and unwavering mission.
8. Planning and communication – NICA believes in advanced planning, working extensively with volunteers and key stakeholders and setting up good communication across all channels.