Profiles‎ > ‎profiles‎ > ‎

The Flying Scotts (George & Sandy)

Real NamesGeorge Scott & Angus Mackay Scott
Lifespans8/27/1929 - 1/20/2014 & 5/27/1934-3/11/2010
6' 230 lbs. & ??? - Hamilton, ONT

Athletic BackgroundWrestling, Hockey, Basketball [George]; Football, Wrestling, Bodybuilding [Sandy]

Teacher(s)John Katan [George] & Mike Sharpe [Sandy]

Professional Background - n/a

AliasesBenny Becker, Great Scott [George]

Peak Years`55-`67

Place in History - George Scott is one of the key figures in pro-wrestling's shift in the 1980s as the booker for the WWF. He was a great athlete, who broke into the sport in the late 1940s. He was able to work with some of the very best wrestlers of the day, but was very banged up before he had gotten far. Soon after his younger brother Sandy broke in and they began tagging in Toronto. The "Flying Scotts" as they were dubbed, started in Calgary and became one of the greatest whitemeat babyface tag team. George began helping book, which would end up his true calling in pro-wrestling. Over the next eighteen years, they became a top tag team in numerous territories and were recognized for their highflying tactics and had money-making feuds with all the top heel teams of the day. Main-eventing in Calgary, Toronto and Australia as well as finding success in Texas, Kansas City and where both ended up after retiring the Carloinas. A neck injury forced George into retirement from active wrestling, but he found a job as a booker for Jim Crockett and eventually bought into Frank Tunney's Toronto office. Between 1972 and 1983, George Scott was instrumental in turning the promotion around by securing excellent veterans and creating hot new stars. Mid-Atlantic was on fire and was arguably the top NWA territory by the time he left and it was that standing that allowed them to take over the NWA when things began changing. George left though and had a forgottable booking stint in Oklahoma. Sandy had joined George in the office after his singles career stagnated and he remained with the company until Turner Broadcasting bought it and then went to work for Smoky Mountain Wrestling during their run. George, however, eclipsed his impact in the Carolinas by joining the WWF as Vince McMahon Jr. was preparing to take over the country. As the company was trying to find its footing, George Scott became a key achitect as the head booker from 1983 to 1986. He oversaw the first two Wrestlemanias and the debut of Saturday Night's Main Event on NBC. Afterward, George Scott tried his hand in Dallas before returning to the place where he had first made his name, which was now WCW. He booked some strong material, but the pro-wrestling business was big business now and he was not the man for the job. George Scott knew his abilities though and began running a good-sized independent, South Atlantic Pro-Wrestling, which attempted to rekindle the Mid-Atlantic magic by running with many of the same stars in the same cities. However, it never took and it closed in 1994. George is one of the unsung greats of pro-wrestling, who was a highly successful wrestler and booker of the likes that few others can claim. He popped two territories and helped them to the hieghts that allowed them to become the WWF and WCW entities that made pro-wrestling bigger than it has ever been.