Profiles‎ > ‎profiles‎ > ‎

Mighty John Quinn


Real NameJohn Quinn

Lifespan - ?/?/44

6’5” 250 lbs. - Hamilton, ONT

Athletic Background - n/a

Teacher(s)Al Spittles

Professional BackgroundNorthland(`61), Pittsburgh(`65-`68), WWWF(`65-`69), Montreal(`67), Detroit(`68-`69), Dallas(`69), Georgia(`69), Vancouver(`70-`73), Portland(`70-`71), Hawaii(`70), JWA(`70), Stampede(`71-`72), Detroit(`71), Toronto(`71), IWE(`71), Vancouver(`71-`73), Hawaii(`72), Georgia(`72), Portland(`73), Toronto(`73), EMLL(`74), Stampede(`74-`77), IWE(`75), Toronto(`75-`76), Portland(`76), Vancouver(`76-`78), IWE(`77), Germany(`77), Maritimes(`77), Germany(`79), Britain(`79-`86), IWE(`80), Montreal(`84), New Japan(`84), Stampede(`84), Montreal(`86), Vancouver(`89)

AliasesVirgil the Kentucky Butcher, Jack Clay, Kentucky Butcher, Little John, The Butcher, The Stomper, Danny DuBois, Marcel LeMay, The Masked Spoiler

Peak Years`68-`80

Place in HistoryJohn Quinn worked at a high level for promotions, big and small, all over the world, for nearly thirty years.  Legend has it that he was brought in to work with Whipper Watson and was so impressive that he was sent to Al Spittles to be broken into business.  He is one of the numerous greats to come out of the Hamilton wrestling factory and was not long a pro before he was brought into the WWWF. Quinn adopted the persona of “Virgil the Kentucky Butcher” and became a top heel in the WWWF.  While not the most well-remembered challenger to Bruno Sammartino, he had his opportunity to battle the champ around the horn. He toured all over the United States and Canada over the next eight years and worked under several guises. Little John battled the Assassins in Georgia, The Stomper feuded with Bill Watts in Oklahoma, Danny DuBois toured Japan and Mexico, and the Mighty Quinn challenged for the NWA Championship in Western Canada where he was headliner.  In 1979, John Quinn made his debut in Britain, where a loudmouthed “American” could really rile fans. He cut a promo (unheard of in Britain) and opened old wounds from World War II by calling the crowd cowards. His run built to a match with Big Daddy at Wembley Stadium, which he lost in less than two minutes. Quinn was a top heavyweight, battling with Tony St. Clair and Wayne Bridges over the country’s heavyweight title throughout the 1980s. When the British scene went into a decline, Quinn returned to Canada to finish up his career.  When he retired, John Quinn left the pro-wrestling world behind and did not make an public appearances for twenty years! John Quinn is one of the notable pro-wrestlers of his era and yet he is often overlooked for his accomplishments. He worked on top of a number of territories, including the WWWF, regularly toured Japan for fifteen years and is one of the most successful North Americans in the history of British wrestling.