Home‎ > ‎

My FC 170 DRW project

I bought this truck a few years ago and started the changes toward making it into a DRW. It has been somewhat of a daily driver for the last couple of years used for short trips like back and forth to work, ('til I lost my job) and to the gunsmith's place and the like.
 
I swapped in a, (supposedly fresh) 226 hurricane that turned out to be not too well done. It doesn't smoke or overheat, but the valve job apparently wasn't performed propperly and it has a weak cylinder. Oh well, it ran okay, just didn't have the power I needed and I'm not up for another extensive, (and expensive) overhaul that would at best be marginal as far as meeting my needs. So the drivetrain is coming out. I've got a potential buyer and I'm taking him a lot of spare stuff that I'd collected to use with an original style drivetrain. 
 
I've got this 400 cid Chevy small block sitting around doing nothing so I disassembled it and sold the original internals. My little brother runs Quarter Flash Motor Sports, and since I helped get him started in the hot rod business, I'm using his connections to put "one last hot rod" together. We ordered a complete balanced rotating assembly. The block cleaned up at .030 so it gets the whole racing treatment. Pistons for Vortec heads, align hone, bored and honed with deck plates, set deck height, six inch rods, a set of Racing Head Service Vortec heads with the big valves, (2.020 intakes) all stainless valves and 1.6:1 stainless roller rockers. They're even grinding me a custom camshaft with springs and retainers built for the truck. 
 
I've been talking to Craig Brockhaus and Jesse Ybarra and they've been helping me with ideas and their insights.
 
I installed a Dana 70 dually rear end from an old chevy pickup that my dad had and with the 3.73:1 rear gear it ran about 75 mph with the 226 engine, but it was working real hard unless I picked up a draft. I figure the 406 cid engine might have an easier time of it, and with the addition of a custom built 700R4 transmission and a Dana 20 transfer case it'll do all I'll ever need. A later model HD Dana 44 with disc brakes, and dually hubs is my current project while I wait for the engine parts to clear the machine shop door.
 
You can see how it started out by looking on page 11 in Craig's gallery, (it's a green flatbed with yellow wheels). There's another picture on page thirteen in the gallery with the DRW rear end installed. I'll be posting more pics here in the next few days. I've got a bunch taken of the front end rebuild that will be up soon.
 
Note: the subpages listed below are not mine, I just haven't figured how to delete them fom the template!! (LOL)
 
Feb 2014
 
So, it's been a while since I added anything to the blog. Things happen and some stuff has to wait.  I bought a donor vehicle, a 9C1 Caprice with an LT1 350 engine and 4L60E transmission. It was a running car with a new radiator, power brakes, and a 24 gallon fuel tank, along with a complete fuel injection system and all of the related harnesses and sensors.
 
When I started this project, it was going to be a straightforward, farmboy simple carb and points style distributor settup with an overdrive automatic. WELLLLLLL, I changed my mind when I saw a neat fuelie settup on a custom cruiser truck at one of the Good Guys'  car shows here in town. I got into a conversation with the owner and he proceded to explain the fuel mileage and driveability advantages of electronic fuel injection.
 
So me and little brother did some research and found that with a little sick and twisted engineering, (something he and I are notorious for) we could do something really unique.
 
The heads and the new induction system went back to the head porter's shop for some bolt hole relocation and more flow bench work. The already assembled 700R4 trans is being gutted and the internals placed in the new electronic capable 4L60E  case and the torque converter is headed for the rebuilder's bench for a little stall modification and beef up.
 
I've hooked up with a gentleman who reworks these wiring harnesses to fit custom applications and another who can reprogram the ECM to do what we want the engine and transmision to do in the Jeep. I even found a guy to modify a distributor to work with the GM Optispark ignition system.
 
I'll add a section on the engine and fuel injection system when we start assembling that portion of the build with pictures and discriptions. The machine shop work on the short block is finished and all but the camshaft and valvetrain is in hand.
 
Stay tuned. 
ċ
roehricht@bellsouth.net,
Feb 19, 2014, 5:23 PM
ċ
roehricht@bellsouth.net,
Feb 19, 2014, 5:22 PM
ċ
roehricht@bellsouth.net,
Feb 19, 2014, 5:21 PM
ą
IMG_0005.jpg
(2078k)
roehricht@bellsouth.net,
Jul 28, 2017, 2:52 PM
ą
IMG_0433.jpg
(1554k)
roehricht@bellsouth.net,
Jul 28, 2017, 3:04 PM
ą
IMG_0436.jpg
(1554k)
roehricht@bellsouth.net,
Jul 28, 2017, 3:06 PM
Comments