Pillaton‎ > ‎

History

The church of St Odulphus was dedicated on 16th October 1259 and took its name from St. Odulph (Odulf) a monk and missionary from North Brabant (Netherlands).

The church was remodelled around the 14th and 15th centuries and the granite walls, piers, arcades and wagon vaults in the porch, north aisle and south transept are typical of that date. The south transept might have been built on the foundations of an earlier building , note the aumbry in the south wall of the transept. The splendid granite tower (restored in 1900) has been divided in its height and the first storey forms a vestry with a ringing gallery over. Unfortunately, this tower and the church suffered considerable damage from a lightning bolt on the night of 21st January 2013. The damage has now been fully repaired.During the 19th century a restoration was carried out (at a cost of £800) when the whole of the main roof of the chancel and nave was replaced with a new roof of pitch pine. The medieval wagon roofs still remain in the north aisle, the south transept and the south porch. The unusually wide 'squint' connecting the south transept to the church is very interesting and the rood staircase opens off this squint.