Gunnislake‎ > ‎

History

In 1834, what is now the Church Hall was built as an Anabaptist Meeting House known as the Ebenezer Baptist Chapel. Within 7 years, in 1841, the Rector, Edward Morshead, bought it for Church of England services and it was licensed by the Bishop for worship on 18th September 1841.

This Hall had "not been regularly used and had fallen into disrepair". In 1879 it was decided to build a larger place of worship as a Chapel of Ease or daughter church to St Andrew's Parish Church.

The foundation stone was laid on the 30th September 1879 by the Dowager Countess of Mount Edgcumbe and consecrated by Bishop Benson in November 1880. It was dedicated to St Anne after an ancient neighbourhood chapel, presumably the one at the Holy Well at what we know as St Ann's Chapel.

The church was listed as a Grade II building in 1988. It was designed by Mr J Piers St Aubyn of Devonport and he unusually followed the ground on the hillside by sloping the floor of the nave with tiered seating, as in an amphitheatre. He used a local builder, Mr Roskilly of Albaston.