At St. George's Church there are two organs. The St. George's Pipe organ and a 2 manual Allen Electronic organ.
The consoles sit opposite each other in the Chancel and are both used for Services and concerts.
St. George's Pipe Organ:
The main pipe organ was installed for the Church's consecration in 1897 and over the years has seen many changes.
For a full history of the pipe organ please click on the following link http://www.stgeorgestockport.org.uk/Organ.html.
For the specification of the pipe organ please follow this link http://www.npor.org.uk/NPORView.html?RI=H00041
The Chancel Organ (Allen electronic organ):
During the previous stage of the pipe organ restoration when the pipe organ was out of action for around 6 months the Church bought an electronic Allen Organ from a Church in Bollington, Cheshire. The organ sits proudly opposite the pipe organ console in the Chancel at St. George's with amplification speakers placed down in the nave to boost congregational singing. The Allen was and still is a very able deputy during various stages of the pipe organ restoration.
The pipe organ (old) console:
The console was originally positioned between the organ and the choir stalls, anybody sitting at the console would have felt and heard the full force of the organ considering it's positioning very close to the pipework!
The case for this original pipe organ console still remains in Church, it has since been converted into a linen cupboard, however as can be seen in the photographs below it still retains some of it's original features.
Photo Gallery: >