Corsenside All Saints

Consecrated in 1907
Times of Services:

11:00am Parish Communion every Sunday
with Sunday School on the first Sunday of the month

'Find Us'

The church, which is situated about halfway between East and West Woodburn, is in a magnificent setting in the Rede Valley just a few yards from the river.  The church was built by Hicks and Charlewood, constructed of ashlar with a slate roof and has a nave with an ocatagonal bell turret, chancel, north porch and north and south vestries in the ‘Decorated’ style.

The foundation stone was laid by Lord Northbourne on August 24th, 1906, and under it he placed a bottle containing a statement about the erection of the church, a list of subscribers, the names of the Vicar and Churchwardens, and a daily newspaper. The Church was consecrated on November 1st, 1907, by the Bishop of Newcastle, just recently appointed to the See. The service was followed by a cup of tea in the Mission Room, a small building not far from the church, which was used as a place of worship before All Saints' was built. Originally the Mission Room was a school, built on the instructions of the Archdeacon in 1855. The building is now in private ownership.

All Saints' contains some very fine woodwork and a good, two manual, organ.  Particularly noteworthy is the Reredos, flanked by carvings of St Cuthbert and St Oswald, and is capped by a frieze of shields bearing carvings of the implements of the crucifixion. It bears the inscription: To the Glory of God and in loving memory of Alfred Clarence Illingworth Vicar of this Parish 1913-1922.

Lettering on the woodwork above the choir and the sanctuary reads: Lift up your hands in the Sanctuary and praise the Lord: The Lord that made heaven and earth give thee blessing out of Sion.

The memorial inscription on the pulpit reads: THIS PULPIT WAS ERECTED TO THE GLORY OF GOD IN MEMORY OF COL. R. ATKINSON RECTOR 1957-68 & MRS. NAYLOR MOTHER OF REV. J. NAYLOR PRIEST-IN-CHARGE 1969-72 BY THE P.C.C. AND FRIENDS.

The perimeter of the font cover is inscribed: THIS FONT CANOPY WAS GIVEN BY PARISHIONERS AND FRIENDS IN AFFECTIONATE MEMORY OF THE REVEREND FREDERIC BEAUMONT M.A. RECTOR OF THIS PARISH 1922 TO 1957.

An entry in Kelly's Directory of Northumberland (1910) pages 110-111 includes a description of the church and parish (extracts are shown here and on the page for Corsenside St Cuthbert):

The church of All Saints, erected at Woodburn at at cost of £2,500 from the designs of Messrs. Hicks and Charlewood of Newcastle, is a building of Woodburn freestone, in the 15th century style, consisting of a nave and chancel, with a bell turret: the oak pulpit and lectern were presented by Mr and Mrs Summers Hunter, of North Shields, in memory of their eldest son, Elliott Cuncliffe Hunter: the font, which is of Caen stone, was the gift of Mr & Mrs Herbert Rowell, of Jesmond: the church is seated in oak, and affords 130 sittings. The living is a vicarage, of yearly value £216, including 80 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of and held since 1903 by the Rev. Walter Ernest Holme B.A. of University College, Durham. The vicarage house is about 2 miles south from Corsenside old church and close to the new church; near it is a small building, originally occupied as a school, but now used as the parish room; it has seats for 80 persons.

Comments