Thorneyburn St Aidan


Times of Services:

2nd Sunday each month:
6:00pm Evening Worship, usually BCP Evensong
4th Sunday each month:
11:00am Parish Communion

'Find Us' (the direct link does not work properly for this church: open the 'Find Us' page and click on 'Thorneyburn St Aidan' under the heading 'Churches in your area')

The church was built by the Greenwich Hospital Commissioners in 1818 to provide a living for ex Royal Navy Chaplains after the Napoleonic Wars.  It is similar in design to churches in Humshaugh, Wark and Greystead built about the same time.  The original name was Draper Croft but, as the Commissioners had a Parliamentary Bill prepared for a parish elsewhere in the country called Thorneyburn and did not proceed to build it, they used the Bill and the name for erecting St. Aidan's as the parish church.  The vicarage was built to the same design as Falstone and Greystead.
Adorning the north wall are two hatchments, believed to be associated with the Greenwich Hospital.
The parish of Thorneyburn with Greystead was amalgamated with Falstone in 1981.
The church draws its congregation from the surrounding farms and houses and the villages of Greenhaugh and Lanehead as well as the hamlet of Gatehouse.
Comments