Greystead churchyard

The churchyard, situated on the south side of the North Tyne on the main road to Falstone and Kielder, is  open for church burials and for visiting graves.
The building within the churchyard was originally "St Luke's Greystead" but is now in private ownership and is called "Greystead Old Church." 
The converted building is residential, but has retained the east window, whilst the War Memorial plaques have been removed and are now displayed at St Aidan's Thorneyburn.
The plain building of stone in the Gothic style, originally consisted of nave, south porch and low embattled western tower, containing one bell: the church was restored and reseated in 1879, and had 150 sittings.
The register dates from the year 1818.
The living was a rectory with an average tithe rent-charge of £126, net yearly value £150, and included 15 acres of glebe, with residence, in the gift of the Commissioners of Greenwich Hospital, and was held after 1886 by the Rev. Francis William Ames, of Trinity College, Dublin.
Comments