Other Churches

Our Ecumenical Partners   

Bellingham Methodist/United Reformed Church

Bellingham Methodist United Reformed ChurchPresbyterians and Methodists have worshipped alongside each other in Bellingham since the 1800s. In 1985 the merger of the two congregations was legalised to become what is locally known as 'The MURC.
The grey stone building was built in 1897. It has a large attractive worship area and an adjoining hall which has a kitchen and toilet area. The building houses commemorative plaques of the two world wars of Bellingham and two from the First World War of Plashetts (a long deserted and now drowned village). The two standards of the British and Canadian Normandy Veterans Association were dedicated on March 7th 1999.

Services are held at 10 a.m. on Sundays, the first Sunday being a family service.

Falstone United Reformed Church



In 1650 the mediaeval church on this site was in ruins. In 1709 the Church of Scotland built the Presbyterian Church here aided by collections taken in Scotland, notably at Melrose. Much rebuilding has taken place culminating in the present building in 1876 when a tower was added. The galleries were removed before World War II, recognising that the population of the valley had greatly declined, due to sheep farming and later forestry. After the War the back bay of the church was turned into a kitchen and meeting room. The congregation is now cared for by a minister appointed for United Reformed and Methodist congregations in the North Tyne Valley.

Services are held at 10.30 a.m. on 2nd and 4th Sundays.


Kielder United Reformed Church (closed church with churchyard)



A small chapel was built at Waterhead about 1735 and was linked with the church at Falstone. The burial ground and church were given by the Duke of Northumberland in 1874 replacing an earlier building further from the present village. The history of the congregation has been linked with Falstone since their founding by the Church of Scotland in 1709. In the seventeenth century the much persecuted Covenanter Alexander Peden, father and founder of Falstone and Kielder Presbyterian churches, is recorded as performing a baptism at Deadwater Fell. The building is in the early English style, built of sandstone, with a slate roof with an interesting and attractive pattern of different coloured slates.  The church is now closed and some worship takes place in Kielder Castle.  The Anglican parish church for Kielder is St Peter's Falstone.


 

St. Oswald's Roman Catholic Church, Bellingham


St. Peter's Roman Catholic Church, Otterburn


Back to Home page of the North Tyne and Redesdale Team

Comments