View Issues‎ > ‎2016 Issues‎ > ‎1611 November 2016‎ > ‎

161114 November 14, 2016


 James Lee Boone
LHS '65
August 14, 1947 - October 14, 2016

         James Lee Boone, born August 14, 1947, in Greenville, MS, passed away at his home in Highlands Ranch, CO, on October 14, 2016 after a brief illness. He was 69. James was born in Greenville, MS, the son of William Louis Boone II and Katie Mae Boone. After moving to Huntsville, Alabama, the Boone family became Charter Members of Mountain View Baptist Church. James graduated from Lee High School in 1965 and subsequently enlisted in the Marine Corps where he served as Sargent from 1967 until 1971 aboard an aircraft carrier with duty in the Mediterranean Sea. 

        James completed his college education at the San Francisco Art Institute in 1973. A man of prodigious talent in ceramics, painting, print design, and photography, he was an artist in every sense of the word. His keen eye and generosity of spirit earned him countless followers and devoted friends.

        James was a principal at Ram Graphics, his own graphic design firm in Birmingham, Alabama from 1981 until 1986, after which the company relocated to Denver, CO, where he continued serving clients until 1991. After brief employment at Gardner Denver and at Auto-trol Technology in Denver, CO, James returned to Birmingham to serve as Art Director at Oxmoor House, the Book Division of Southern Progress Corporation from 1991 until 2001. He then returned to Denver and served as Editorial Producer for Sunset Magazine, capitalizing on his creativity and love of the West. He retired in 2005. 

        James was preceded in death by his parents and by an older brother, William Louis Boone III who lost his life in 1974 in service to the Coast Guard. James is survived by his niece, Lara B. Nowakowski and her children James Hardin, Jacob Nowakowski, Catherine McDavid and her children Emily and Dylan. He is also survived by his second niece Ineke Anne Boone Baker and her daughter, Kaitlyn. Baker. 

        James’s heart for service manifested itself in his volunteer work for countless community organizations serving people in need. He not only contributed funds to these organizations but he took a personal, proactive interest in each entity and was beloved by those he helped. His love for the beauty of Colorado was evident in his hobbies of cycling and volunteer work at Estes Park, where he taught photography to tourists and to students. Among his favorite organizations was the Denver Dumb Friends League, an animal shelter at which he became a dedicated volunteer. Contributions may be made in his memory to the Denver Dumb Friends League, 2080 S. Quebec Street, Denver, CO 80231.

        No service has been scheduled at this time. Friends and family will miss his thoughtful and generous spirit. He understood on a very deep level that to be of service to others is reason for being. A true Southern gentleman, James will be greatly missed.

        Memphis, TN - I send out a great big "Thank you" to all of you for keeping the latest political issues away from the content of Lee's Traveller. Usually during an election year I receive many emails from both sides of the fence and I have always had to explain why I did not publish them. I know these are real and very personal issues to many of you, but I decided a long time ago this was an inappropriate platform to voice our concerns.

        Although there are similar "sides" to football games and bowl games, those have been allowed as fun (school related) rivalries and have been allowed. You all know I have often remarked about my own school teams of the University of Memphis, Texas Christian University, and the University of Maryland - Tigers, Horned Frogs, and Terrapins!

        I am happy to say my health is good and life is good - retirement makes it better.

A Visit with Bud and Kathy
Mike Acree
LHS '64

When friends invited me to their wedding on Jekyll Island, Georgia, on Saturday, October 8, I decided to fly down a couple of days early and make a side trip to visit Bud Yoakum and his wife in The Villages, Florida.  Bud and I were not close enough in high school that we spent any time together outside of school, but he always impressed me as someone with a lot of soul.  We had no contact after Lee until reconnecting 6 years ago, and our e-mail exchanges, mostly on political topics, have affirmed my impression of a very thoughtful guy.  Having been unable to make his wedding a few years ago, I had not met Kathy, and was looking forward to meeting her and to reconnecting with Bud after 53 years.

I flew into Orlando on the 5th, a day ahead of Matthew.  We had planned to have dinner at a barbecue place that night, but I waited a solid hour in line at the rental car agency at the Orlando airport.  The agent said they had 1500 reservations that day, compared to 600 for a typical Wednesday.  Who would have thought so many people would be flying into a hurricane?  Or maybe there were that many geezers who didn’t have a car with which to escape.  In any event, I arrived at The Villages too late for barbecue, and we met at Chili’s.  The next night I was planning to take them to the Big Fin Seafood Kitchen, where, I inferred from on-line menus, the chef might have come from Beluga in Winter Park, now closed.  The blackened swordfish “filet mignon” I had had there about 15 years ago was possibly the best thing I’ve ever eaten.  (The secret, I later figured out, was to use clarified butter.  Cut the swordfish steaks 2” thick and follow Paul Prudhomme’s recipe for blackened redfish, then finish the steaks with 20 minutes in a 400° oven.  Serve with lemon and plenty of clarified butter.)  Alas, I got a call on Thursday that the restaurant was closing that evening in honor of Matthew.  We made reservations at several other places, only to get a call later that they were closing, too.  We finally ended up at the Nancy Lopez Country Club, for which I had very low expectations, but it was very good, if you’re ever stuck in a hurricane in The Villages.

Meanwhile, I got a call at 8:15 on Thursday morning from the Jekyll Island Club Hotel, advising me that my reservation had been canceled, thanks to a forced evacuation of the entire island.  I later learned that the couple had reorganized the entire wedding, for the same date (Saturday), by 1:00 Thursday afternoon, in Birmingham—a feat so impressive it was covered on Birmingham TV.  But I didn’t find out in time to make it from Orlando to Birmingham, so I had an extra day with Bud and Kathy.  Despite missing people I had looked forward to seeing or meeting at the wedding, I was hardly sorry for the extra time with Bud and Kathy, and would hate to have forfeited any of it; the two days of conversation flew by.  

Bud got off to what appeared to be a charmed start:  When he joined the Marines, a questionnaire asked if he played a musical instrument.  His talents caught the attention of his superiors, one audition led to another, and before long he was in the Marine Band in DC.  After some small act of insubordination, he was sent within a week to Vietnam—but as a Musician.  If you had to go to Vietnam, that’s definitely the way to go, in my book.  After that, his life was mostly wretchedly difficult, until he managed to get it turned around a decade or so ago.  He is now doing impressive work with ex-cons, trying to help them re-establish their lives.  Kathy’s trajectory was similar in many ways.  They both speak of their experiences in ways that are easy to relate to, and fascinating to ponder.  I’m very grateful to have re-established the connection.

Sunday the 9th, the day after the wedding I missed, was my brother-in-law Pete’s 75th birthday, and I surprised him with a 3-day golf vacation at the new Primland resort in southern Virginia.  The weather for that portion of the trip couldn’t have been better, and neither could the resort.  Unlike most mountain courses, where lodging and fairways are built in the valleys, at Primland the fairways are shaved off the tops of the Blue Ridge Mountains, making a spectacularly beautiful and challenging course.  The fairways, Pete said, were like greens anywhere else.  We stayed in a mountain cottage with a hot tub on the deck and a view forever.  (Also available is a circular two-story suite in the observatory tower, with glass all around for a 270° view.)  Since the menu and wine list were not available on-line, I wasn’t sure what to expect of the restaurant, but it was excellent, and the service was outstanding.  On one night we ate at the Chef’s Table, in the kitchen, with a view of the operations, and the chance to visit with the chef.  I was astonished when the sommelier, after inquiring about our tastes, customized the wine pairing, even to the point of offering different wines to Pete and me for some courses.  There aren’t many activities to draw you there except golf (and hunting), but it’s a place no golfer should miss. 

Pictures from the Lee Lunch Bunch Gathering

From Carolyn Burgess Featheringill
LHS '65

Escoe German Beatty and Sarajane Steigerwald Tarter, both '65

The Blaise brothers--'64, '65 and '67

Jerry Brewer '64 with Pat King Fanning and Peggy Durham Williams, both '65

The table from '66 (left to right) is as follows:  Terry Barnes, Linda Collingsworth Provost,  Sarah Sanders Gilbert, JoAnne Crafton Jarman and Curt Lewis.

My brother Don (back), my mother, and me and our TV on East Clinton Street.

The Vintage Television
Tommy Towery
LHS '64

36 New NBC TV Shows
for 1960

1960 TV Shows




My Sister
Mike Crowl
LHS '65

      My sister was a LHS '64 classmate. I always called her the invisible sister back during our school years. Although we both have talked about it , neither of us really know why I never saw her in school and she never saw me. 

        In the mornings getting ready for school we didn't see each other. She used to ride the bus to school and I always walked to school. I think the reason I walked was because the bus cost ten cents. I put that money in my pocket. Can't really remember.

       We finally both decided it had to do with being in different classes . She was a year older than me, so her classes were always in a different corridor of the school, but It just seemed strange to both of us.

        I was always involved in some kind of sports or working after school, so I didn't really see her a lot after school either. Over the years we have caught up and spend time together, which both of us are enjoying.

     I guess by now you are wondering ,what was my sisters name. Her name is Marcia (now Marcia Crowl Hemphill). Does anyone remember her? Also, if anyone remembers, did it cost money to ride the bus? 



From Our Mailbox 


Subject:    Last Week's Issue

Ann Pat King Fanning

LHS '65

        As always, I am amazed at your weekly Lee newsletters...keeping us all connected.  How unique and special you are as a classmate, a writer and a friend.  UNIQUE means cool and awesome - of course.   We missed you all at the last luncheon but know you've had a busy time traveling and just grateful you managed it all safely and securely.

        "The Battle Hymn of Republic" has always been a favorite of mine and I'll forever remember performing it in Lee High's choir.  The arrangement still makes me have chills.  I listened with tears in my eyes as Orsen Wells narrated the story about history of this great and glorious hymn.  It is a well timed posting as we approach not only Veterans Day - but a very, very major election.  

        Thank you again for all you do to keep the Lee Flame alive.... 

        I salute all of our Veterans - Retired and Active Soldiers.  God bless you all!

        In sincere appreciation. 

Join the Mailing List to Receive Notification When New Issue is Available 


 Email Me