18th March 2011
Technical Session One: New Media and Communication
Chairman: Dr. K.J. Joseph, Professor, Dept. of Mass Communication, University of Mysore, Mysore
1. Privacy and Digital Media: Legal Concerns in India
Dr.T.Tripura Sundari, Associate Professor, Dept. of Communication and Journalism, S.P.Mahila Visvavidyalayam, TIRUPATI – 517 502. Andhra Pradesh
2. Bridging the Digital divide - the feature of students
Dr. T. Balasaravanan, Assistant Professor in Centre for Electronic Media, School of Media and Communication, Pondicherry University.
3. Civic Journalism: Possibilities and Obstacles
Dheeraj Kumar, Research Scholar, Centre for Electronic Media,
Pondicherry University, Puducherry.
4. Philosophical and Aesthetic Impact of the Fifth Estate on the Fourth Estate
Dr. Jojan Job, Head, Department of Journalism, Madras Christian College, Tambaram, Chennai 600059
5. On and Off the Internet: An exploratory study of youth social capital in Chennai in the Online Era.
Dr. S. Kalyani, Amrita School of Communication, Amrita Vishwavidtya Peetham, Coimbatore.
6. New Media for Welfare ,Development and Social Justice Enforcement
Madhukar G Appaji Research Scholar, Bangalore University
7. Self Presentation online: Real or reel?
Dr. Prema.P.Nair, Avinashilingam Deemed University for Women , Coimbatore, Tamil Nadu,
8. Social Networking Sites as a tool of marketing by corporates and response thereto by the educated youth.
Rachna Nahta, Astt. Professor, Dept. Of Visual Art, International College for Girls, The IIS University, Jaipur
9. Digitalization of Handwritten Classical Tamil Language using Digital Image Processing Technique
Dr. R.S. Sabeenian, A.S. Kishore Kumar, P. Murali Balaji, R.S. Naveen, S. Ramesh
Sona College of Technology, Salem- 636005, Tamil Nadu
10. Impact of ICT on Bangalore Youth
Dr. B. Shailashree. M.S., M. Phil, Ph.D, Assistant Professor, Department of communication, Bangalore University, Bangalore – 560 009
11. Preferences and Popularity of Social Net Work Sites of University Students
Dr. R. Subramani Ph.D, Assistant Professor, Department of Journalism and Mass Communication, Periyar University, Salem-636011, Tamil Nadu
13. Mobile Phones for Communication of Agricultural Innovation to Farmers
Chitra,B.M and Gopala, Y.M Research Scholars. Department of Agricultural Extension. University of Agricultural Sciences, Bangalore, GKVK, Bangalore-560065.
14. People’s Movement through Social Networking: an Egyptian Riddle
Hampesh K.S, Assistant Professor, Department of P.G. Studies in Mass Communication & Journalism, SDM College, Ujire , Dakshina Kannada District
15. The Role of New Media in Kannada TV News Channels – A review (Special reference to Mobile phone)
Krishna, Research Scholar, Department of Communication, Bangalore University and Dr. B.K. Ravi, Bangalore University
16. Reason behind the use of Social Networking Sites among Metro Youth
Neeraj Khattri, Research Scholar, Himachal Pradesh University,Shimla(H.P.)
17. Interactive Communication
Promita Bose, Rohit Kumar Malani, Students of PGDM, MATS Institute of Management & Entrepreneurship, Bangalore
18. New Media Visualization: Decoding Signification in Social Networking
Sreehari K.G. , M.Phil. Scholar, Department of Media Studies, Christ University, Bangalore
19. New Media: A Portal for New Age Revolution: (A Case study of the Face book Revolution of Egypt)
Vasundara Priyadarshini. M, Research Scholar, Dept of Mass communication, Bangalore University, Bangalore
20. A Study on the Effectiveness of Online Newspaper Among Youth in Chennai
Rachel Jacob, Assistant Professor, Department of Journalism, Madras Christian College
Technical Session Two: New Media and Education
Chairman: Dr. M. Gangadarappa, Professor and Head, Dept. of Mass Communication, Karnatak University, Dharwad
1. New Media and Schools of rural children.
Rohit Pawar, Ph.D student, Department of Communication Studies, Uiversity of Pune, firstname.lastname@example.org
2. New Media as an Emerging Aid and Resource to Teaching
Shikha Gupta, Senior Lecturer, Jagannath International Mangement School,
OCF, Pkt-9, Sector-B, Vasant Kunj, New Delhi
3. New media usage by school children of Bangalore
Suparna Naresh, Lecturer, Christ University
4. New Media Communication Technologies for Facilitating Asynchronous Delivery of Distance Learning for Differing Learning Styles.
Mr. Alok Ranjan & Ms Rita Salunkhe L. BCA & MSc Department, Don Bosco Institute of Bio Sciences and Management Studies Kumbalgodu, Bangalore
5. Online Interactive Forums as a Learning Tool among the Media Students – An Analysis
Dr. S. Arulchelvan, Assistant Professor, Department of Media Sciences, Anna University, Chennai
6. Mediating through Web 2.0-Imperatives of an End User Perspective of Websites of Universities of North East of India
aDr.C.S.H.N Murthy and bMohsina Rahman aAssociate Professor, bFinal Year Master’s Student Department of Mass Communication and Journalism Tezpur University, Napaam, Tezpur, Assam
bMohsina Rahman Master’s Student in Department of Mass Communication and Journalism, Tezpur University, Napaam, Tezpur, Assam, India
7. E-News Papers among the E-Generation: A study on the use of e-news papers by the resident students of Pondicherry University
Kaushik Mishra, Research Scholar, Centre for Electronic Media, School of Media and Communication, Pondicherry University, Puducherry-605014
8. New Media and the Coverage of Education News
Dr.M.V.Lakshmi Devi, Vice-Principal & Head, Department of Sociology, R.B.V.R.R.Women's College, Hyderabad, Andhra Pradesh
9. Effective usage of e-learning to create awareness on energy conservation among school students
Raja. Malathy Priya, Assistant Professor, Department of visual communication,
Shri Shankarlal Sundarbai Shasun Jain College for women, Chennai
10. Motives for using Online Social Networking Sites: A Perception among college students
*1.N.Nazini,M.Sc,M.Phil,(Ph.D), 2.N.Tamil Selvi,M.Sc,M.Phil.,M.A
*1. Senior Lecturer, Dept of Viscom, Sathyabama University, Chennai.
* 2. Lecturer, Dept of Viscom, Shankarlal Sundarbai Shasun Jain College for Women, Chennai.
11. E-Media in Higher Education and the Perception of Students on it.
Prakash .K. Research Scholar, Centre for Electronic Media, School of Mass Communication, Pondicherry University, Pondicherry
12. A Study on the Usage of Information and Communication Technologies among the Students and Teachers of Technical University and Its Impact on their Communication Behaviour
Ms.Uma Maheswari.P, Assistant Professor, Department of Media Sciences,
Anna University, Chennai-600025.
Dr.S. Arulchelvan, Assistant Professor,Department of Media Sciences, Anna University, Chennai-600025.
Technical Session Three : New Media and Welfare
Chairman: Dr. P. Verghese, Chairman, Department of Mass Communication, Kuvempu University, Shimoga
1. Codes of Journalistic Ethics
Deepshikha Verma1, Pawan Dahiya2, 1 IT, IP University, JIMS, Delhi , 2 Electronic and Communication, Khanpur University, Bhagat Phool Singh Mahilla Vishvavidyalya, Sonipat
2. The Role of Communication in changing Life styles
Mohammed Raza Naik, (MBA)
Shilpa Kumari, (MBA), Students – MATS Institute of Management & Entrepreneurship, Bangalore
3. Women and the Political-Economy of New Media
Sreyashi Dhar , M.Phil. Scholar, Department of Media Studies, Christ University, Bangalore.
4. Impact of New media on society - A social appraisal
Devprasad, Jain University, Bangalore
5. Civic Journalism through new media : Possibilities and Obstacles
Dheeraj Kumar, Research Scholar, Centre for Electronic Media, Pondicherry University, Puducherry
6. Role of new media to sensitise and mobilise male population to act against domestic violence: A study of Bell Bajao (Ring the Bell), a new media campaign
Prof. Jhimli Pukayastha, Garden City College, Bangalore.
7. Cultivating Digital Culture through Social Media: Introspecting new risks and opportunities
Ms.Manipal, Research Scholar (PhD), Department of Sociology, Panjab University, Chandigarh
8. Gendering ‘The Social Network’: Women as passive consumers in the evolution of information technology
Sameera Khan Rehmani, Research Scholar, Deptt. Of Mass Communication
Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh, Dr. G. K. Sahu, Assistant Professor, Deptt. Of Mass Communication, Aligarh Muslim University, Aligarh
19th March 2011
Technical Session Four: New Media and Governance
Chairman: Dr. N. Usharani, Professor and Chairman, Dept. of Mass Communication, University of Mysore, Mysore
1. Relationship between New Media and Democracy
Ashima .S. Gureja, Asstt. Professor, Media Studies, Tecnia Institute of Advanced Studies, GGSIP University, New Delhi.
2. The internet as an emerging public sphere: Implications on democracy and governance
Dr. G.K.Sahu, Asst. Professor, Dept. of Mass Communication, Aligarh Muslim
3. Local Cable Channels and their Role on Community Development
Mr. Jone Antony raja M.A, M.Phil, MBA, Ph.d, Research Scholar
Periyar University, Salem
4. Digital Technology and Dynamic Governance
Prof. I. Mohan Kumar, MBA, MPhil, PGDCA, PGDIB
Faculty Member – Marketing, MATS Institute of Management & Entrepreneurship,
Bangalore & Agarwal binay Aravind (PGDM) Student – MATS Institute of Management & Entrepreneurship, Bangalore
5. Analytical study of user typology and effectiveness of ICT enabled local governance project ‘The FRIENDS’ center in Trivandrum
Prasanth Koothoor, Doctoral Scholar and Dr C Pichaandy, Head Department of Communication, PSG College Of Arts and Science Coimbatore
6. New Media and Governance
Dr. Sunetra Sen Narayan, Associate Professor
Dr. Shalini Narayanan, Associate Professor
Dr. Shashwati Goswami, Associate Professor
Indian Institute of Mass Communication, Aruna Asaf Ali Marg New Delhi: 110067
7. The internet as an emerging public sphere: Implications on democracy and governance
Amutha Manavallan, Lecturer, St.Joesph’s College, (Autonomous), Bangalore
8. E- GOVERNANCE IN INDIA: Impact of Media on Governance
Dr. Anitha.V, Department of Political Science, St. Joseph’s College (Autonomous), Bangalore.
9. New Media and Governance: Issues in Democracy and the Transiting Public Sphere in India
Bibu V N, Mahathma Gandhi University, Kottayam, Kerala
10. New Media, Information Technology (IT), Democracy and Development : Political Campaigning and Governance of Polling Process in Tamilnadu.*
Dr. D. Boopathy** , ** Associate Professor, Department of Communication, PSG College of Arts and Science, Coimbatore
11. The role of “Twitter” Users from Egypt in the Recent Revolution in Egypt
Juby John Eipe, Research Scholar, Department of Mass Communication, Pondicherry University, Kalapet, Puducherry.
12. Post Broadcast Society and Uncomfortable Fault lines: the Inescapable Dilemmas
Dr Silajit Guha, Asst. Professor, Assam University, Silchar
Technical Session Five : New Media and Human Development
Chairman: Dr. B.P. Mahesh Chandra Guru, Professor, Dept. of Mass Communication, University of Mysore, Mysore
1. New media for sustainable gross roots development
Prof.Dr. B.P.Mahesh Chandra Guru & Shruthi , University of Mysore
2. New Media and Human Development
Priyanka Singh, Allahabad Agriculture Institute- Deemed University
3. Development and Media: Rhetoric & Reality
Dr. Dharmendra Singh , Associate Professor , Journalism & Mass Communication Dept. , JIMS, Rohini, Secotr-3, New Delhi
4. Multimedia as a Tool for Education and Training Farmers- A Ray of Hope for Effective Rural Development
Gopala, Y.M1 & Chitra B.M2
Research Scholar. Department of Agricultural Extension. University of Agricultural Sciences, Bangalore, GKVK, Bangalore-560065.
Research Scholar, Department of Agricultural Extension, University of Agricultural Sciences, Bangalore. GKVK, Bangalore-560065.
5. Community Networking: A case study on the locally networked campaign to save the wetlands of Coimbatore
C.R.Jayaprakash, Assistant Professor,, Department of Communication, PSG College of Arts and Science, Coimbatore
6. Information and Communication Technology (ICT) Initiatives in Disseminating Agricultural Information
Mahatab Ali K.M1, Narayana Swamy B.K2
1Ph.D Scholar, 2Professor, Dept of Agricultural Extension, University of Agricultural Science, GKVK, Bangalore-065
7. Mobile Servicing for Speedy Communication of Agricultural Technologies
N. Mamathalakshmi 1 * and Nagabhushanum. K2
1 Ph. D. Scholar, Dept. of Agricultural Extension, UAS, GKVK, Bangalore-560065
2Professor of Agricultural Extension, UAS, Hebbal, Bangalore- 560024
8. Effectiveness of Grassroots ICT Projects: A Study on Akshaya Project of Kerala
P.V. Sangeetha, Ph.D. Research Scholar, Department of Media Sciences, Anna University, Chennai 600025
Dr. I. Arul Aram, Associate Professor (Science Communication), Department of Media Sciences, Anna University, Chennai 600025
9. Positive effects of Information and Communication Technology(ICT) on the development of Karnataka State.
T.R.Ramakrishnan and Dr.K.Puttaraju, Bangalore University, & Jain Group of Institutions, Bangalore
10. Information and Communications Technologies (ICT) - a Innovative Approach in Agricultural Extension
Shankara, M.H¹, Narayana Swamy B.K2 and Shashi Kiran A.S3
1 Ph.D Scholar, 2Professor and Head Dept. of Distance Education, 3 Ph.D Scholar,
UAS, GKVK, Bangalore- 560065,Karnataka,India
11. Information Communication Technology (ICT) in Agriculture Development
Swetha, B.S1, N.Narasimha 2, & Gopala, Y.M31 Ph.D Scholar Agricultural Extension, 2 Professor of Agricultural Extension, and 3Research Scholar , University of Agricultural Sciences , GKVK, Bangalore
12. Media and National Development : Indian Persperctive
Dr. V.L.Dharurkar, Professor of Mass Communication, & Former Director of UGC Academic Staff College, Dr. Babasaheb Ambedkar Marathwada University, Aurangabad (M.S.)
13. Empowerment through New Media : An analysis of Urban-Rural Dichotomy
Dr. Vani M.N, H.O.D, Journalism N.M.K.R.V. College, Bangalore and
Dr.K.G. Halaswamy, H.O.D., Journalism, H.K.E.S Sri Virendra Patil Degree College, Bangalore.
14. 'The so called 'Elitist' form of Media is part of the Hoi Polloi'
A paper on the role of Internet as a means of communication in a developing nation (sp India).
Ms. Somali Chowdhury, Assistant Professor Senior Grade, Department of Communication, Amrita University, Coimbatore
Technical Session Six : New Media and Health
Chairman: Dr. P. Natarajan, Professor and Head, Dept. of Journalism and Mass Communication, Periyar University, Salem.
1. Leveraging Social Media in Emerging Indian Healthcare Market
Ram Ananthasubramony, Vijay Sylvestine, Infosys Technologies Limited
2. A study on the role of mobile phones in Tuberculosis DOTS treatment
Mr. R. Elangovan, Ph.D. Research Scholar, Department of Media Sciences,
Anna University Chennai, Chennai – 600025.
Dr. S. Arulchelvan, Assistant professor, Department of Media Sciences,
Anna University Chennai, Chennai
3. Application and Utilization of Tele-health services in Karnataka
Vahini Aravind, Assistant Professor, Dept of Electronic Media, Bangalore University
4. New Media Medicine and Health-Care in Bangalore
Jai Divya, Research Scholar, Bangalore University
Technical Session Seven : New Media and Environment
Chairman: Dr. G.P. Shivaram, Chairman, Dept. of Mass Communication, Mangalore University, Mangalore.
1. National Development & Environment Protection
Anjani Kumar Srivastava ( Asst. Professor, AAFT, Media Studies) & Manoj Sharma, Consultant- FDDI, Ministry of Industry & Commerce, Government of India.
2. Media for Environment Conservation: A Case Study of Sirutluli, Coimbatore.
Lakshmi L Lund*, Dr P E Thomas**
*Research Scholar (PhD. Full Time), Department of Communication and Media Studies, Bharathiar University, Coimbatore.
** Associate Professor and Head I/C, Department of Communication and Media Studies, Bharathiar University, Coimbatore
3. Role of new media in environmental issues
Dr.N.Mamatha, University of Mysore & Dr.C.K.Puttaswamy, University of Mysore
4. Role of Media in communicating Climate Change in TamilNadu
Monisha T.G., Research Scholar and Dr. I. Arul Aram Associate Professor, Department of Media Sciences Anna University Chennai – 600 025
5. New Media and Environment
Dr. Sapna.M.S, Asst. Prof. DOS in MCJ, University of Mysore, Mysore
6. Environmental Communication in the era of New Media
T. Shyam Swaroop, Assistant Professor, Department of Communication and Journalism, Yogi Vemana Univeristy, Kadapa