Home Page‎ > ‎

The Bowling Green

 
The Bowling Green in Holford has had various uses over the years. In 1924 at the Williton Rural District Council a letter from Mr. Tamlyn of Hoddescombe Lodge Holford was read complaining that block stone from the quarry was being left on the Bowling Green and causing damage. It was pointed out that this had often occurred over the past fifty years and that it was perfectly open common (Bridgwater Mercury 09/04/1924).
After the registration of the Bowling Green in 1980 (Reg No. VG38 Somerset) as a village green, the area was surrounded by posts to prevent vehicle access. A car park was then laid out on the site of the old quarry.
The green is now looked after and mainained by Holford Parish Council, AONB, Somerset County Council and Fairfield Estate. Local Contractors; Andrew Date & Brett Bates (Quantock Home & Garden) carry out regular maintenance.
The Green has over the years been used for various activities, meets of the Quantock Stag Hounds, West Somerset Vale Fox Hounds, The Fete Committee (which held many grand affairs followed by an evening dance and BBQ). Locals enjoy the area and recently some have played French Boules there, which it is reputed, was played by the Huguenots when they settled in Holford in the 16th century and started the cloth trade in the area, hence the name of Bowling Green.
In 1952 a seat was installed on the green to celebrate the Coronation of Queen Elizabeth II, in 2000 another was added to celebrate the Millenium (built by Michael Beaton) and in 2011 the Coronation seat which had been damaged at the Dodington Fountain was moved to the Bowling Green, rebuilt by Andrew Date and paid for by Christina Taylor.
 
Diamond Jubilee Celebrations 2012
 
HHS @ Holford Diamond Jubilee Celebrations - Saturday 2nd June 2012
Holford History Society at the Holford Diamond Jubilee celebrations on the Bowling Green Holford
Peter Grandfield and Brett Bates manned the stall showing a variety of photographs and paintings, they were also on hand to answer any questions relating to Holfords history.
Inside Bretts horsebox were old paintings of Holford by John Aldridge (a Holford resident) and others along with a picture slideshow.
The historic vehicles were located at Mares Pool alongside the Green, the tractors were from Terry Ayres' collection at Moorhouse Farm Holford.
Jaguar
Austin
Rover P4 110
Terry Ayes TractorCollection
Nuffield 60
Massey Ferguson 35x
Fordson
Austin Iron Duke (1919)
Holford History Society
Holford History Society
Villagers on the Green
Austin Iron Duke (1919)
 
More photos on the Holford Village website
 
Comments