Home Page‎ > ‎

General Holford Photographs

 Holford Dog Pound
 St.Albyns Crest
 St.Albyns Crest
 Holford Dog Pound
 
 Holford Dog Pound
The ancient dog pound was given to the village of Holford in 1982 by the family of the late John Lancelot Brereton.  They were descendants of the St.Albyns, owners of Alfoxton Park since the 15th century. Their crest appears above. The building is looked after by Holford Parish Council.

 The story behind the Dog Pound is quite gruesome: the hounds were housed on the Alfoxton estate and looked after by the huntsman. At this time meat for the hounds was hung in the trees, which attracted many of the local stray dogs and they often unsettled the hounds. One night the huntsman was awoken by the sound of braying dogs and so went to investigate. Unfortunately he did not put on his normal hunting garments and as a result was attacked and killed by his own hounds. To prevent strays causing such an occurrence again the dog pound was built.  
Bartons Barn is now converted into stables. In 1840 the smallest building next to the church wall was described as the school. In 1920 The Bartons and adjoining fields were used by the tenants of Winsors Farm. The field between The Bartons and Copse Cottage was known as 'Pot Water Field'. In 1933 The field, then called Castle Field and the Bartons were given to the National Trust by Mr. OM Dalton.
 Holford Yard - The Bartons
 
 Holford Glen Bridge before being rebuilt by the Royal Marines
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

Thumbnail

 
 YouTube home
   
     

Comments