Hello all :) My name is Marie and while I've been an empathy trainer for many years, I've only recently taken that title. In the interest of brevity, here are Edwin's suggested intro questions and my answers
- What is your name, background and interest with training empathy?
My academic background is in education and conflict resolution, and I spent the last decade working as a peace educator. Four years of that time was spent working in a women's correctional facility running a vocational training program. As I've reflected on my work, I've realized a significant portion, and my favorite part of the work, was in teaching empathy. Since leaving the prison, I was fortunate to be able to take some time off and consider my next steps. I'll hopefully be returning to a formal position soon, but am intending to build a consulting business as an empathy trainer and adult educator.
I'm building a consulting business around a visual process method I'm developing called Storyclouding (TM). Storyclouding is building empathy through discovering and exploring shared stories using language and art (see wordcloudportraits.com).
- What are your ideas for forming an International Empathy Trainers Association?
I don't know enough about IETA yet to ask questions or form any opinions about its direction or purpose. I've never met anyone who called themselves an Empathy Trainer so I know very little about the field or "formal" empathy training.
- What sort of support do you need from IETA? Unsure
- How would you like to contribute of building the Association?
Unsure, although I have a number of skillsets that could be useful
- What questions do you have for others on the list?
- What do you do?
- How does empathy training show up for you?
- What is your background and how did you develop as an empathy trainer?
- Will you be able to attend some planning and design meetings?
Yes, I'm planning to attend the next meeting
- What dates and times are good for you?
Right now I'm flexible but that will likely change once I'm working again
Any links you'd like to share.
Website: www.meoutloud.com | www.wordcloudportraits.com
Facebook page: (not live yet)
LinkedIn page: https://www.linkedin.com/in/meoutloud