The single most reason why Donora became Donora is because of the steel mill. Without the mill, Donora would never have been. We would still probably be called West Columbia, nothing more than a small river village without much historical depth.
In the first years of the twentieth century, industrialists from Pittsburgh were looking to expand their companies into the Monongahela Valley because of its proximity to the river and railroad lines.
In 1899, Richard B. Mellon purchased approximately 380 acres of land from Bert W. Castner, the Heslep heirs, Bradford Allen, and Alexander and Company for the Union Improvement Company. During the same year, William H. Donner and the Mellon interests organized the Union Steel Company.
The Union Improvement Company allocated all of the land lying between the Pittsburgh, Virginia and Charleston Railroad and the Monongahela River to industry and all of the land lying west of the railroad for a town site.
The Union Steel Company, with William H. Donner as President, broke ground for the construction of the Wire Mill in 1900. Around the same time, the American Steel & Wire Company (AS&W) was organized in 1899 and became a subsidiary of the United States Steel Corporation in 1900.
Simultaneously with the construction of the Wire Mill, Mathew Woven Wire Fence Company constructed a plant for the manufacture of woven wire fencing. This plant formed the nucleus of the Woven Wire Fence and Welded Wire Fabric department.
The plant was operated by the Union Steel Company until 1903 when the American Steel and Wire Company leased the property from the Union Steel Company.
In 1902, the Union Steel Company constructed the steel and blast furnace plant. Prior to the completion of the plant, the Union Steel Company leased the property to Carnegie Steel Company. The plant, consisting of two blast furnaces, twelve open-hearth furnaces and a 40-foot blooming mill including accessories, was completed. Carnegie Steel Company operated the plant until 1907 when it was closed down due to the Depression. In 1908, AS&W acquired the property from Carnegie Steel Company and had operated the plant without interruption until it's closing in 1967.
Outside of the mill, AS&W would start to sponsor social activities. The Donora Steel Works Band was formed in 1912. The mill would also sponsor various sports leagues and teams, as well as organized picnics for the mill workers and their families.
During the time the Wire Mill was operated by Union Steel Company, its requirement of steel billets was purchased in the open market. After the property was acquired by AS&W, steel billets were secured from subsidiaries of United States Steel Corporation. World War I stimulated the demand for wire and rods and to meet this demand, a third rod mill was installed at the Wire Mill in 1916. Eventually, the Wire mill would become the world's largest.
The chief by-product of the Donora Zinc Works was sulfuric acid. It was one of the most widely used chemical compounds and played a vital role in the National Defense program as it was an important raw material in the manufacture of explosives. It was also used in refining crude petroleum, pickling steel and recovering ammonia as ammonium sulfate. Cadmium and lead were also by-products in the manufacture of zinc in the Donora plant. In the photo above, a mill worker stands behind newly minted zinc ingots.
Zinc's value as a protective coating was long known and most of the Donora Zinc Works production was shipped to other mills of the Company and subsidiaries of the Corporation where it was used to galvanize wire, nails, sheets and many other steel products.
In 1921 at the Wire Mill, the first machines were installed for producing wire welded wire fabric for reinforcement for concrete roads and concrete reinforcement in general.
Donora was a very important center of the nation's high standard of peacetime living and a vital cog in the defense of the American way of life. During World War II, a component of brass zinc was used in the manufacture of cartridges, shells, fuses and detonators. Alloyed with aluminum, magnesium and manganese, it was used in the manufacture of shafts, propellers, bearing, castings and forging for airplane parts. Its protective coating properties were utilized in galvanizing marine hardware, cables, pipes, tubes, canisters and drums for the Navy. Die-castings of zinc were used in the production of tanks.
Then in 1948, the Smog disaster occurred, marking the beginning of the end of the mill. While the Zinc Works created an abundance of prosperity for the town, it would prove to be its Achilles heel.
After years of mounting environmental and economic concerns, and the obsolescence of the current zinc making process, the Zinc Works closed in 1957. In 1967, the remaining portions of the mill were dismantled and ultimately in 1968 the rest of the mill closed. A few of the original buildings still exist and have been consumed by the current industrial park.
Learn more about our mills that were here in Donora and inquire about the original photos during the construction over 100 years ago. Some of these photos were taken by Bruce Dreisbach and were once in the possession of the Smithsonian Institute. Hear about the stories of some of the men who worked in the mill such as WWI veteran Andrew Posey, who after surviving the war, lost his life a few years later by being entombed in molten steel. Read original newspapers and view artifacts that were used in saving numerous lives during the 1948 Smog disaster caused by the mill. Also, see products and tools used in the mills and even the original whistles that blew at the start and end of each shift. You can see and hear about all this and more by visiting our Museum.