July 15, 2014
Dear Pirates Soccer Players,
Hello, I hope this letter finds you in good spirits, good shape and excited about the 2014 soccer season. We have a lot of work to do to improve on the Semi-Final District Finish of the year before. Fall practice starts soon and I wanted to touch base with you and let you know what it takes to be a Pirates soccer player and what to expect for this fall.
1. Each of you should have a summer fitness program. Fitness is the number one priority in the preseason. Your fitness will be tested on the first day of practice with a timed 2 mile run. You should be able to complete the 2 mile run in under 15 minutes. You will have 3 chances to accomplish the goal. If you do not break the required time in one of the three chances, you will not be allowed to play in varsity games for the first two weeks. Remember, you are accountable for your fitness.
2. Plan to have fun. This is a team from top to bottom. Everyone shares in the program’s success and shortcomings. We believe firmly in the team concept. Besides, if you are not having fun you are not learning.
3. Lastly, prior playing experience is not a factor in becoming part of the team. All we ask is that you come with a positive attitude, a strong work ethic and a team oriented attitude.
Training for the 2014 season begins Monday, August 4 from 8:00am – 11:00am at Southwick Stadium.
The first three weeks of practice will consist of Fitness Training, Grid Work, Skill Training, Small Sided Games, and 11v11 games.
Tryouts will be Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday of the first week of practice. Teams will be announced Thursday before practice.
Training Schedule for the first four weeks of practice (All practices will be on the grass field at Southwick Stadium unless otherwise noted):
8/4 – 8/6 8:00 – 11:00am
8/7, 8/8, 8/11 & 8/12 4:30 – 7:30
8/13 3:00 – 5:00
8/14 3:00 – 6:00
8/18 & 8/20 3:00 – 5:00
8/19, 8/21 & 8/22 3:00 – 6:00
8/25 3:00 p.m.-5:00p.m. Normal practice time for remainder of the season.
(Unless otherwise announced.)
8/15 6pm Annual Purple/Gold Game (This is a dress rehearsal
for the season.) Varsity and J.V. will play a
scrimmage game. Parents are invited to attend.
8/16 10am Jamboree (Varsity only) at Liberty North
What to bring for preseason training:
1. Soccer gear. (Soccer Cleats, Shin guards are required and must have the NOCSAE stamp or label, soccer ball is provided) Don’t forget your running shoes also.
2. Positive attitude. (I have been through the same regimen and know this is tough, “We don’t do things to get them done, we do them to get better.”)
Also, all shinguards must meet the National Operating Committee on Standards for Athletic Equipment specifications. The new NOCSAE shinguards will be stamped or labeled with the NOCSAE logo. They will specify which size is correct for a particular-sized player, making it easy for players, coaches and officials to differentiate which shinguards are to be worn. If a player is not properly equipped, the coach and the player will be cautioned (yellow card).
In closing, I hope this helps in your preparation for the season. The Pirates soccer program is dedicated to producing the best student athletes in the Kansas City Metro Area. If you have any questions please call me at (913)579-9697 or email me at email@example.com.