History of the Aljaamiáh Masjid

 
Al-Jamia Masjid in Stegman Road, Claremont, Cape Town, was built in 1911. It has flourished in spite of the close-knit Muslim community around it being forcefully removed by the dreaded Group Areas Act in the 1960s. The area surrounding Al-Jamia Masjid was one the first to be affected by the Group Areas Act and its impact devastated the entire Muslim community. With most of the houses, shops, schools and parks demolished, the naasjid today is surrounded by up-market shopping centres, soul-less car parks and high-rise office blocks. The early Muslims who were descendants of the Colony's slaves first arived in the then rural areas of Claremont in the 1840s. The first masjid built in the area was the Claremont Main Road Masjid. Haji Sullaiman Shahmahomed was instrumental in the renovation of Al-Jamia Masjid in the 1920s.
 
In 1956 Imam `Abdullah Haron became imam of Al-Jamia Masjid and he served the masjid as well as the Muslim community until his "death" in 1969.
 
Comments