Humboldt County Chapter of the CGJA

Agenda 10-8-2019


  1. Call to Order


  1. Approval of minutes of previous meeting


  1. Treasurer’s Report


  1. Old Business/Action Items

-Wayne will post a draft on the share drive of the next article for comment.

-John will

write an email to Thaddeus Greenson regarding publishing our articles.

-In October

we will discuss the archiving of grand jury reports and responses.

-John will

draft a news article regarding the interviewing of potential grand jurors.

-In October we will discuss replacing Sam on

the board.


  1. Committee Reports

Overall-

Writers

-We need to get more people interested in writing articles

Speakers

-Tim at Redway Rotary today

-Unfortunately, the inter-tribal elder’s dinner will no longer take place

Continuity-

Screening-

Hosting-

Fundraising-


6) Sitting Grand Juror’s Report

-Status/updates by Foreperson Jim.


7) New Business

-CGJA convention in Sacramento November 3&4

8) Good of the Chapter

9) Adjournment




HCCCGJA

Draft Minutes

Conference Room 1A, Courthouse, Tuesday October 8, 2019, 12:45 p.m.


  1. Call to Order

John Heckel called the meeting to order at 12:45 p.m.

  1. Approval of minutes of previous meeting

John moved and Tammy seconded approving the minutes as presented.

  1. Treasurer’s Report

John noted that once a year we have an annual membership meeting in January. At that time we need to check our own membership payments as well as how many are in the statewide CGJA...we need at least three. Bernadette will report at the next meeting on who are paid-up members. Bernadette and Jim will go to the bank to transfer access to the account.

  1. Old Business/Action Items

-John indicated that we need more ideas regarding topics for upcoming articles. Suggestions included writing an article about GJ reports being the beginning of an ongoing dialogue and process, perhaps using the ongoing BOT discussion regarding The Mis-Fortunes of Humboldt County. Another topic is the nature/specifics of responses received from entities that have been investigated. We potentially could do an article explaining how implementation of GJ recommendations can take a number of years, as was the case with the airport report.

-Wayne will post a draft on the share drive of the next article for comment.

Wayne was not present to discuss this.

-John will write an email to Thaddeus Greenson regarding publishing our articles.

Before he does that, John asked whether if the North Coast Journal says yes we should stop using the Times-Standard. It was pointed out that the Times-Standard has been purchased and is no longer “local” whereas the North Coast Journal remains a local paper. Also, the North Coast Journal is free. However, the Times-Standard is more available in the outlying areas. There was additional discussion regarding demographics and overall distribution. John will follow up with the North Coast Journal and bring the results of the discussion back to the board.

-In October we will discuss the archiving of grand jury reports and responses.

Clare reported that Debra has said she will send the reports to Sacramento at the end of each GJ year.

-John will draft a news article regarding the interviewing of potential grand jurors.


-In October we will discuss replacing Sam on the board.

John asked that any non-board members present at the meeting let him know via email if they are interested in serving on the board.

  1. Committee Reports

Overall-

Writers

-We need to get more people interested in writing articles

Speakers

-Tim at Redway Rotary today

-Unfortunately, the inter-tribal elder’s dinner will no longer take place

Continuity-

Screening-

Hosting-

Fundraising-


6) Sitting Grand Juror’s Report

-Status/updates by Foreperson Jim.

Responses are coming in more slowly than usual. The Continuity Committee will meet soon to determine how the HCC-CGJA might help in the continuity process. The GJ is now down two members and there are no alternates, so a pool needs to be created. Jim has communicated to the court a concern regarding the lack of alternates. A letter was sent out and there was one application. John suggested that an article be put in the paper ASAP encouraging individuals to apply to the GJ. The option of a public service announcement also was discussed. Jim will speak to the judge about the HCC-CGJA putting together a PSA to encourage people to apply. Jim said the GJ has a number of investigations underway and thanked John and Bernadette for providing a Report Writing Workshop.

7) New Business

-CGJA convention in Sacramento November 3&4

John noted that Tim Hafner has been elected and will attend and encouraged others to do so.

8) Good of the Chapter

9) Adjournment

The meeting was adjourned at 1:30 p.m.