Be safe. Be kind. Be responsible. Be respectful.
We are safe.
● We go up the ladder and down the slide feet first.
● We climb the monkey bars. We don’t sit on top of them or climb on the rooftop.
● We don’t climb the fence.
● We use jump ropes for jumping. We don’t tie ropes around people.
● We don’t throw ice or snow.
● We stay off ice and icy equipment and out of puddles.
● If an adult feels you are being unsafe, you will be asked to take a short safety break to
reset. Breathe or count slowly to 30.
● If you continue to be unsafe, you will have to leave the recess yard.
We are kind.
● We include others. You can’t say: "you can’t play!”
● We shake hands at the end of the game.
● We are gentle with people’s bodies. We don’t fight, play fight, or hit others with balls.
● If someone gets hurt, we stop and help or get help.
● If someone is being teased or treated badly, we try to help or get help from an adult.
● If someone is very angry or hurting others, we get help from an adult. We stay out of it.
● We are kind to the trees and other living things. We don’t pull or climb on branches.
We are responsible.
● We stay in the yard. We don’t leave without a pass from Carmen.
● We pick a yard and stay there. We don’t switch yards.
● We don’t ask for passes after “5 more minutes” is called.
● We put balls and jump ropes back into the bag at the end of recess.
● We line up together to go back to our classroom with an adult, not by ourselves.
● We dress for the weather. Coats come out and stay on when it is below 40°.
We are respectful.
● We listen to directions from any adult in the yard.
● When line up is called, we stop, carry balls to bags, walk onto our lines. We find our spots quickly and quietly.
The Right Recess Games
Some games are too rough for recess. Please no dodge ball or tackling football.
Recess games should be fun for everyone - beginners and experts.
We share the school’s recess equipment. Please don’t bring your own stuff (balls, ropes). Absolutely no electronics.